Thread: I/O device error: cannot copy file or folder.

I/O device error: cannot copy file or folder.

Hi all, I want to copy a .dat file to my computer which is there on my hard disk. When I tried to copy that then instead of copying that file it shows me the error message that says:
    Error Copying File or Folder
    Cannot copy AVSEQ02: The request could not be peformed
    because of an I/O device error.
    I get this message almost every time when I try to copy from any CD except few CD’s where it gets copied easily. I tried to copy this many time but all the times it gives me the same message. I have installed Windows XP on my computer. Can it be the problem with the operating system? Please help me guys.

Re: I/O device error: cannot copy file or folder.

As you told that you are able to copy from some of the CD’s and there are some CD’s from where you cannot copy files. I would like to tell you that you can make CD as copy protected. If the CD that is not getting copied is copy protected then you will not be able to copy that. You can check this from the properties of that file or the folder. You can also try to copy that CD from any other computer and see whether it can be copied or not. If it cannot be copied then it can be copy protected CD.

It can be problem with the optical drive that you are using to copy the files. Are you able to read all the Disk from your optical drive. If you are having problem with reading disk then it is the drive problem. You should use a disk cleaner for your drive. You will get it easily from any computer accessory shop. It’s very easy to use and you will get the complete instruction that how it can be used. It will clean the lens for your drive and you will be able to copy the files from CD.

If you are having loose cable connection between CD/DVD drive and motherboard then also you may get the error like this. You should check the cable connection for this. If you found that it is having loose connection then remove that cable and reconnect that properly. Make sure that the connection is tight. You can also try by changing the ribbon cables. It is possible that this cable is corrupted and that is why it is not providing the proper connection for your hard drive.

I was also getting the similar problem earlier and was not able to copy the files from my CD. In my case it was aveseq01.dat which was a multimedia file. I played that video with the media player classic and while playing that I opened File menu from menu bar and selected save as. After that I saved that file to the Desktop. This places that file to the desktop easily. I wish that this will help you to copy the file from your CD.

You should check that CD. It should not have any scratches on it. If it is having any scratch on that then also it may not get copied. Just take a CD that is clear and not having any scratches on it and try to copy that. See whether you can copy that or not. If you copy that easily then it is not the drive problem. It’s the CD that is damaged. Don’t insert that CD again and again because it may damage your drive lens also.