Thread: Backup utility on Linux platform

Backup utility on Linux platform

I was having Ubuntu operating system installed on my desktop. As Linux operating system are more secured than Windows platform from virus attack. We can make use of Backup utility in the Linux platform for taking the backup. As now I am having Linux platform, I wanted to take the backup of my system but I am unaware of the steps to take the backup. I need solution describing the steps to take the backup in Linux platform and also suggest some readymade software available through which I can take the backup.

Re: Backup utility on Linux platform

You can take the backup on Linux platform very easily. To take the backup on Linux platform you may have to download and install backup software which is specially designed to be used on Linux platform. The software which we can make use on Linux platform for taking the backup is known as "KDar". The KDar is a backup software which is having user friendly interface and can be used easily on the Linux platform. The KDar software can split the backup. If you are using mandriva Linux operating system then there is inbuilt software tool provided with it.

Thanks for providing me the solution for taking the backup on Linux platform. With the help of the software given above it was possible for me to take the backup. Also I want to know if it is possible to take the backup outlook files in Linux. If yes then provide me the solution for taking the backup. Also give me the solution for taking the backup of tape in Linux platform.

You can backup outlook files in Linux platform very easily. You need to follow the steps given below to take the backup of outlook files:
    1. You need to download and install Mozilla Thunderbird software. Mozilla Thunderbird software is used as an email client.
    2. After the installation of Mozilla Thunderbird double click on it to open. When the Mozilla Thunderbird window opens click on the tools and then select import. Now you need to import your outlook files for which you want to take the backup.
    3. Now you need to find where the mail files were stored before importing it to the thunderbird. Select tools/account settings and search for the local directory box from the Mozilla Thunderbird window.
    4. After you find the mail files take the backup of it on some external devices such as CD, DVD etc. so that you can easily load it into the email client.

You can make use of backup software for taking the backup of the system. To take the backup tape in Linux operating system very easily. Start the system by login as administrator. Open the command prompt and type the command to backup data on multiple tapes # tar -clpMzvf /dev/st0 /home. After typing the above command and pressing the enter key you can take the backup data on tape very easily.