Thread: Windows XP cannot be repaired

Windows XP cannot be repaired

I am having some problem with repair installation of the Windows XP. When I do the same on my old computer then it runs fine but on my new dell laptop it is not able to repair the operating system. In my old computer when I press “R” key then it starts repairing that but on my new laptop I am not able to proceed further. This is the first time I am facing this problem. I am facing many problems with my laptop and so I want to do repair on it. Please tell me that what can be the problem with it and how can I perform repair for Windows XP. I have tried it many times but all the times it is showing me same result.

Re: Windows XP cannot be repaired

I think that you are pressing the enter button too early and that is why it is not able to repair that. Insert the XP CD into it and boot the system. When it asks to boot then you have to press enter button. This will let you to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After Reading that agreement press F8 to proceed further. On next screen you have to select the option for clean install or repair. Wait for sometimes and press “R” to repair. This will start repairing the system and replace all the corrupted or missing files.

There may be some problem with the installation CD that you are using to do the repair. That CD may be corrupted or not written properly. If that is the case then all the files cannot be loaded into the computer memory and hence cannot proceed further. My suggestion to you is to use some other CD and this time burn any other copy of the setup if it is possible. I wish that this will solve the problem.

Have you installed Windows XP SP2 or SP3? I am asking this to you because it may be possible that you have installed the service pack 2 and you are using service pack 3 or you have installed SP3 and you are using SP2. Check for that in the computer properties and use the proper installation CD for that.

There are many few chances for this but it may be possible that your CD or DVD drive is not detecting the installation disk properly and which is creating problem for repairing the system. You should check for this and if that is the case then you can use some portable drive to do this. Other alternative option for this is to connect the hard drive to any other computer and do the repair from there.