Thread: Member servers cant browse Domain

Member servers cant browse Domain

Problem: None of my member servers can browse the network, through network places! I have 2 DC's which can browse the network also all of my XP clients can browse the network.

The member servers do not show up in network places when browsing from the DC's or the Clients!

1 DC is set in registry to be domian master = true

All others are set to false

1 Domain

All machines are in 255.255.0.0 subnet

Should not need wins?

Any help greatly appreciated as very stuck!

Regards

Wayne Gillard

Re: Member servers cant browse Domain

I am not sure but there is something that can put highlight on. This can be due to the needed cryptography files which are not found or may be corrupted. This files are stored in the registry to provide access to your members that are trying to log in. It is possible to replace those files but the process is more complicated in that matter. I had provided a link below that can give you a more detailed information on the same.
    System Cannot Log You on Because Domain

Thanks for the reply , however i think you have misunderstood me! Everyone can log on fine the issue is the member servers (all server 2003 and one 2003 r2) can not browse the domain through network places and can not be seen in network places by the xp clients and Domain controllers! They can however map drives and access shares! And all clients can access the shares and drives on the servers! Any more ideas appreciated!

WG

Have you checked whether NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled? Is that server (the problem server) a domain controller? I ran "dcpromo" on mine and fixed a bunch of problems. As for the XP systems, you might want to delete those from the server management, under computers - also under sbs computers. The problem might be a coflict between WINS as well, so check that also.

Netbios is set to use DHCP setting, on all servers and clients, so that cant be the reason only the member servers cant see or be seen in network places. There is no wins setup whatsoever as this is all on one domain and one subnet! Do I need WINS??

Ok have enabled netbios over tcpip on 2 servers still unable to browse network places or be seen from xp clients network places! Any further suggestions more than welcome!