Thread: System wont boot after plugging External Hard drive

System wont boot after plugging External Hard drive

i have been using a desktop computer which is running with windows xp. It was running absolutely without any sort of problem till yesterday but now it is giving a strange problems whenever i plug my usb in to my system it wont boot only. even when i try to plug it after the system is on then the system freezes and i had to restart it forcefully. Anyone any ideas about this problem please tell me how to fix this problem with my hard disk for your kind information i have been using a seagate hard disk. I need to back up some of my systems data.

Re: System wont boot after plugging External Hard drive

I think that the problem here is because of the USB port. It appears as your USB port has been damaged and it has stopped working. Have you tried to plug the portable hard drive onto another usb port. Because the problem seems to be of the USB port itself and hence i think plugging your device into another hard disk will definitely fix the issue. If the problem persists then reply again.

I have a USB external hard drive 120 GB Western Digital, which is working absolutely fine without any issues , but now only the LED lights, but does not appear in My Computer, or Disk Manager. what the problem could be? Please tell me. I have some very important data on to my external hard drive which i cannot afford to loose. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

Usually damaged the power supply, but may not be your case. I would recommend to be dismantle it if there is no way, Try to check the disk via IDE whether it is working , but it is effective for disk + external boxes that are not mounted, and do not know if in your case how effective this method will be if its not working then remember to take the advantage if you still have warranty, then try to exchange it for another. With this new hard drive i can suggest you that you should backup your data regularly. Hope it will fix the issue.

I have a similar problem. I have a Lacie external drive (model porch) of 250 GB and time in which so (2 times before) the operating system does not recognize it, making the sound you've played a device, but the operating system sees nothing. sometimes I have tried resetting the USB interface and it has worked, but this time nothing seems to work. The additional problem is that the disc is no longer under manufacturers warranty and not to do. I tried to see if I can access the disk with Stellar Phoenix program, but do not see it either. Thanks in advance.