Thread: Linux distro which are like Mac OS X

Linux distro which are like Mac OS X

I have been looking for a Linux distro that appear similar to Mac OS X or that should be at least the look can be like Mac dock. About didn’t have much idea about Mac and not able to look for any such Linux distro. So I want to know here is that can I have any such distro if anyone currently using it please let me know so that I can use in it. Last think I want to mention is that I am new to Linux so don’t know much about it.

Re: Linux distro which are like Mac OSX

As per my knowledge there is no such Linux distro that looks like Mac OS X, instead to get the feel of Mac you can try to install themes and other stuff and a dock to make Linux look like Mac OS X. But for that you need to perform lots of work but this can be the option for you as you are asking for Mac OS like Linux distro that I don’t think possible to have. Hope this will help you to get the Mac like feeling in Linus.

There is version of Ubuntu that you can have in your Linux system for feel like Mac. Macbuntu can be the best option which you will have; it will include an OS X theme for your Ubuntu desktop instead. Macbuntu will install all the essential applications, icons and other resources to build your desktop look similar like the Mac OS X. So I think you should go for it as your final option.

Yes the above mentioned option of Macbuntu will work as wonder for you as you wanted to have the desktop like Mac OS X. But to make it more simple and if you are using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx you can perform some code to have it in your system.
    For Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx enter in Terminal window
    Code:
    wget https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/macbuntu/macbuntu-10.04/v2.2/Macbuntu-10.04.tar.gz -O /tmp/Macbuntu-10.04.tar.gz
    tar xzvf /tmp/Macbuntu-10.04.tar.gz -C /tmp
    cd /tmp/Macbuntu-10.04/
    ./install.sh
    And if you have Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat then enter in Terminal window
    Code:
    wget https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/macbuntu/macbuntu-10.10/v2.3/Macbuntu-10.10.tar.gz -O /tmp/Macbuntu-10.10.tar.gz
    tar xzvf /tmp/Macbuntu-10.10.tar.gz -C /tmp
    cd /tmp/Macbuntu-10.10/
    ./install.sh