Thread: Disabling hotkeys in windows 7

Disabling hotkeys in windows 7

Recently I have changed my operating system from Linux i.e. Ubuntu platform to windows platform. I am also having Kaspersky antivirus with the latest update so that it can protect my system from virus, adware, malware etc while browsing across the internet. I want to know if I can disable hot keys in windows. If yes then provide me the steps to disable the hotkeys.

Re: Disabling hotkeys in windows 7

Hotkeys are shortcut keys through which we can open other programs. We assign the key on the keyboard to open a specific application. We can disable the hotkeys in windows platform by making use of registry editor. For disabling the hotkeys you need to follow the below steps:
    1. You need to start the system and login into the system as administrator.
    2. Go to the start button on the task bar and select run window.
    3. In the run window type”regedit” and press the enter key.
    4. Now you need to browse to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer location in the left panel.
    5. Right click to create a new DROWD. The name of this newly created DWORD should be “NoWinKeys” or if there is an existing DWORD then you need to modify it and assign the number 1 to it.
    6. Now close the registry editor and restart the system so that the changes made should take place.
    7. After restarting the system hotkeys will be disabled.

Well thanks for providing me the solution to disable the hotkeys. I have successfully disabled the hotkeys on my Dell Inspiron 6400. I have tried to change the hotkeys of my laptop but failed. I want to change the hotkeys of my laptop for some time. So for setting the function keys I want a solution.

You can change the hotkeys of laptop very easily by making use of windows setting. For making use of windows setting you need to follow the below steps:
    • Go to the start button and select Settings/Control panel.
    • In the control panel window, click on the keyboard icon to open it.
    • Select the hotkey that you want to change and then click on select. You need to customize the selected key by selecting an assignment from the popup window.
    • Click on ok button and your new settings will be changed.
    • You need to repeat the above steps to add additional hotkeys that you want to set.

You can also change the functions of hotkeys by making use of “DellTouch” software which is provided by the Dell Company. Go to the Start/All Programs and then select DellTouch Programmable Keys. Now select the hot key that you want to change and in the new popup window will appear with configure button. Select the function tab and a list of drop down menu assignment will appear that can be set for the hotkey. Click on the ok button to save the settings. And your selected hotkey function is changed.