Thread: cache memory shows N/A after installing new hard drive ?

cache memory shows N/A after installing new hard drive ?

I use Windows XP operating system because of 512 RAM only in my desktop system .I had copied all my important files and data from my old 80 GB hard-disk to a new one which has a size of 1 TB . After the 80 GB one had started making some strange noises and once even encountered a blue screen error and some of related to hard-disk errors.To make it secure I made images of all my partition of the newly installed hard drive, for that purpose I used a seagate disk wizard software and then loaded those images in my 1 TB hard drive, for a while it worked smooth as ever. and then restored them to the 1TB hard-disk. I was all running fine. One day I had tuned up the hard drive and later on found that it was showing the status of the cache memory as not available. Can I consider this as a serious issue , if it is has any body got any idea how to fix this or know what seriousness this can cause.
    Last edited by Riley01; 01-12-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Re: cache memory shows N/A after installing new hard drive ?

I was facing almost the same issue as you are facing right now , like you I too tried to diagnose the cache memory and discovered that it showed me too the same message as it showed to you But I used to put my system for downloading a lots of stuffs overnight but one day I discovered that a very funny thing happens. All the icons on my desktop screen and sometime in the my computer are disappearing gradually . And if during that time I have opened any explorer window or any other tool the I could not see the text on that a page and not even I could click the drop down list. I do not know about your system , but I had a temporary solution to this issue, it got resolved only once when I have restarted my system.

Well system cache memory is almost similar much like memory in the system . If you face any problem with the Cache memory related issue then it is very difficult to diagnose it. In that case a software can help. You should also check for the temperature of your system into problems with it, it is hard to diagnose. a software tweaking a software can help ij this issue. |.Overheat , can be a horrible problem and can be fatal . Not a single component in a computer should be hot. Always try to keep the chassis cool Keep the case cooled. Cache memory is generally heated while system is powered on and does not have sufficient ventilation. Just be sure wit the BIOS as well and check whether it is set appropriately. The BIOS may be attempting to carry out write-through operations when it should actually have write back.

Yes it seems some serious issue when I saw the second post , he says his icons started to disappear gradually, I cannot say about the cache memory , if it goes bad or faulty there are no chances of repairing it, but you will have no choice but to replace the motherboard . It can also happen because of the chip creep , it is the reverse process of overheating. When a system gets heated then while cooling it cools the cache to much that is I think making the system to behave odd .