Thread: Will windows XP work with Intel core i3

Will windows XP work with Intel core i3

I have just bought old laptop from my friend who was using that laptop from last couple of years with windows 2000 operating system. I want to mention here is that the laptop has Intel core i3 processor and i am looking for having Windows XP as my operating system. So i am here to ask if windows XP works with Intel core i3 processor if anyone have technical knowledge regarding this please let me know because i haven't installed any OS in my laptop yet. Proper details regarding this will be helpful.

Re: Will windows XP work with Intel core i3

Yes for sure you will be able to install Windows XP; but for that you will have to do a lot of preparation work. Because windows XP doesn't natively support SATA hard drives that are there in your laptop, so you will have to come up with a method to install the SATA drivers during the XP install. As an option, you may be able to modify the BIOS settings to IDE compatibility mode, and then you may carry out the installation for XP. After the XP install is finished, you can mount the SATA drivers, then you can go back into the BIOS & alter IDE compatibility mode back to SATA mode. But you have to have the XP compatible drivers for the chipset sound drive, video drive and network etc.

I don't think there is any relation between your processor and the operating system you want to have in your laptop because all the processors are design and created to work with all type of operating systems regardless of it is from Microsoft, Linux or else. But yes the laptop should have the minimum specification requirement that should be there in order to have and work with windows xp in your laptop. But surely you will be able to install xp if you have the minimum specifications, so you ahead and have the xp as your operating system.

As per my choice of operating I think Windows 7 will be better to have in your laptop rather than having windows XP because a window 7 is quite better in running multi-core and particularly virtual CPUs. That is mostly important for Core i3 or higher CPUs, as they greatly depend on hyper-threading to convey near quad-core performance. I think your Core i3-based laptop is having at least 4GB of RAM and to take benefit of all that memory, you need have a 64-bit operating system . But need to tell you here is 64-bit XP doesn’t perform well when compared with Windows 7 x64 as it run lots of applications when compared with XP x64. So you can go as per your convince or on the bases of the advantages.

smile Re: Will windows XP work with Intel core i3

As per my understanding the win 7 would carry out best possibilities in task you are looking at. Allthough XP has outdated nower days, you asked about it because you were more familier with XP or may be you have few particuler softwares which works with XP and not with win 7 many versions offers. So here my advice would be go with win 7 Pro or Ultimate here you will get the option to work in win XP mode without even being installed win XP you can enjoy both stuffs and at the same time win 7 carry out amazing stuffs in terms of visuals and also works smartly. Always remember latest is best and have all that which previous generation had with extra and improved user options. For more user details check the feature guide further.

hello everyone.
    just buy i3 desktop n not able to install windows every time i tried got errors regarding file not available on windows 7 ultimate and blank screen on windows Xp. Any Idea????????

Can you just make a note of that error exactly and post it here, so i can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing, just mention it here for further help.

ThumbsUp Re: Will windows XP work with Intel core i3

Which version of windows you are trying to install? Also do let me know te processor's code (i.e Intel core i3 2310m)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis234 View Post
    As per my choice of operating I think Windows 7 will be better to have in your laptop rather than having windows XP because a window 7 is quite better in running multi-core and particularly virtual CPUs. That is mostly important for Core i3 or higher CPUs, as they greatly depend on hyper-threading to convey near quad-core performance. I think your Core i3-based laptop is having at least 4GB of RAM and to take benefit of all that memory, you need have a 64-bit operating system . But need to tell you here is 64-bit XP doesn’t perform well when compared with Windows 7 x64 as it run lots of applications when compared with XP x64. So you can go as per your convince or on the bases of the advantages.
    Well said. Its better idea to utilize win7 over Win xp because of being new os Win 7 carries comprehensive possibilities with being able to work on less memory as well as smart desktop nevigation. Garphics support is much much better then ever. Also it gives you the option of smart search which can make your daily life easy with no problems. In earlier eddition.