Thread: Recovery of corrupted BIOS

Recovery of corrupted BIOS

I was having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed on my desktop. Last night only I tried to update my motherboard BIOS. I updated my BIOS with a wrong update because of which after starting the system there was no signal on screen but the hard disk was working. I restarted the system again but the same problem was persisting. I need a solution to overcome this problem.

Re: Recovery of corrupted BIOS

If your motherboard has an Award BIOS, the first recovery option is to remove the PCI graphics card and replace it with an ISA card. The aim is to prevent the BIOS of this card does not load. Then insert the media containing the instruction file and the flashing utility before restarting the machine. Normally you can run the flash again. The second solution is to replace the BIOS battery for another in the goal of access to DOS. It should be noted that this chip should come with a motherboard chipsets are similar or just a motherboard brand. Put your PC on and then once in DOS, remove the backup battery.

I was having problem with my BIOS. From the above solution given I have restored my BIOS from the wrong update and it was done within very few steps. My system works fine. Also I want to know if we can reset the BIOS. If yes then provide me a solution through which I can reset my BIOS.

You can reset the BIOS very easily. Find the rocker-style switch which is located at the back side of your system and change it from the position 1 to position 0. Remove the CMOS battery and reinsert the CMOS battery again after sometime. Now move the rocker-style to position 1 again. Power on the system and BIOS will be reset.

Steps to reset the BIOS are given below:
    1. Turn on the computer and press the delete key to enter into BIOS.
    2. In the BIOS settings go to the last tab.
    3. Select “restore factory settings” option and save the changes.
    4. Now your BIOS will be restored to factory settings.

The repair of BIOS can be done by the manufacturer. To repair a corrupted BIOS you need to follow the steps given below
    1. Take out the BIOS chip from the motherboard which was not working.
    2. Now you need to take the BIOS chip of working motherboard and insert it into the corrupted BIOS chip of non working motherboard.
    3. Now you need to boot the system with the temporary chip you have inserted.
    4. After booting now you need to use the chip puller or pair of small screwdrivers to remove the working chip from the socket.
    5. Insert the corrupted chip into the slot of working motherboard.
    6. After inserting the chip you need to flash the corrupted BIOS.
    7. After flashing the corrupted BIOS reboot your system.
    8. Now the system will start and you need to insert the working chip back into its motherboard.