Thread: WD Hard Drive Missing from system

WD Hard Drive Missing from system

My WD Caviar Black 1 Terabyte has dissappeared.

System
    Gigabyte GA 790XTA ud4
    AMD Phenom X4 955e
    ATI Saphire HD 5770
    4GB Patriot DDR3
    1 x WD Cariar Black 1 Terabyte SATA
    2 x Seagate 500GB SATA
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

My WD Caviar Black 1 Terabyte drive was my only system hard drive no issues.
    I had this great idea, setup RAID 0 sTRIPED. Purchased two Seagage 500GB drives
    and installed them. Setup the drives for RAID in BIOS and then ran the MARVELL windows
    utility. Yes RAID 0 is setup using both the Seagate 500GB drives. Formatted the
    Seagate drives in Disk Management. Great, rebooted,ok, Windows 7 is intact
    and the two Seagate drives show as RAID 0 (what I named them). Now the trouble begins!
    I wanted to make the RAID array the boot drives, and I wanted to eventually put
    the WD 1 Terabyte drive in another computer. So I ran Norton Ghost from Hirens cd. CORRECTLY
    chose the WD 1 Terabyte drive as the source and chose the RAID 0 Array as the destination.
    No mistake made there ! Next started Ghost, TROUBLE for some reason only 135 MBytes were copied.
    This Worried me so I exited Ghost and Attempted to boot into Windows 7. Damn, (sinking feeling)
    Bios reported no boot disk ! Went into bios and confirmed the WD 1 Terabyte is STill setup as
    the First boot drive and the Hard Drive is the First boot device. Another try and Yep, still no
    boot device found. Put the Windows 7 install disk into the cdrom drive and booted to command
    line. Tried a few cd/ X to see what drives the bios does see in the system, The RAID array
    is still there, so is ( clearly) the cdrom. But No other hard drives are there, other than what
    is seen by the bios. The bios is setup as ahci. Tried running bootsect /nt60/all, but nope.
    Well, you know I was up late reinstalling Windows 7 again, this time on the RAID array. That
    is done , updated and I ran HD Tune. Hd Tune see's the RAID 0 array and benchmarks it. HD Tune
    also see's the 1 Terabyte WD Caviar Black and benchmarks it too. Windows Disk Management see's
    only the 2 RAID 0 drives and the cdrom drive. I ran the Marvell RAID utility and it shows that
    both the Seagate 500GB drives Are the array with a total array size of 1 Terabyte.
    I'd Really like to get the data from the WD 1 Terabyte drive. Anyone have any ideas ??
    cheers , me sleepy

Re: WD Hard Drive Missing from system

In this case you should check to update your signature. If you have not installed new, I would recommend to remove it once from the control panel all that sounds like NVidia. Then I would suggest you to download from the ASUS page the appropriate chipset drivers (for XP) and install. While there is certainly not the newest, but one which has been tested by ASUS times.

Youve posted to the wrong message !

Happy Ending
    Did some more research, and decided to go after the partition.
    I dl'd the program Partition Wizard (freeware and Great) and ran it set to restore partition. The program found the partition and recovered the partition with ALL data intact.