Thread: Cache won't release in Windows 7 when needed

Cache won't release in Windows 7 when needed

I am running Windows 7 on my desktop PC. There is some misconception which I want to figure out. I have noticed that the Windows7 normally doesn’t use the entire physical RAM available for applications. My system’s current memory capacity is 4GB and I think it rarely uses over 3GB of RAM even though much more as been assigned. So anybody have idea about why the Win7 is prioritizing cache so high? Is there any reason or way to change the behavior?

Re: Cache won't release in Windows 7 when needed

There is simple reason and the simple answer for this issue. I think the wrong what you have made is doing a lot of assumptions or assignment without any data or real backing. As I know that the software giant Microsoft has done lot testing over it to optimize the algorithms used for caching, prefetching and paging like that. As far as think they have done their best than you ever thought about it.

As I gone through your problem I found that the indolence you are experiencing is due to the reality that you only have 4 GB of RAM. As I know Windows 7 is optimized better and may run better only if you give it more than 4 GB. You may think that the cashed RAM as an available RAM. . That is because the memory that has been used as cache is frequently obtainable to be cleared for application use. If the System’s memory was totally used up with no more memory existing for increasing memory necessities, then your computer would be even slower than you are presently experiencing.

I think that this kind of issue is not being happening at all. It doesn’t need to happen like that. For additional information check RAM map by systeminternals. As I know the application page file in Windows 7 is not there for use when physical memory is full. The OS uses physical memory to write down pages that are established to be stationary. You should use perfmon to check the page faults only if you are worry about the system using page file.

How can you say that you are lacking in memory and suffering performance issued? There are nearly 120 processes running on your system. Windows is also using your page file pretty seriously. It's doing its best thing it can to page out data that's not being used yet by keeping the majority active applications in memory, but it also keeps some few hundred Megabytes accessible cached for anything else you open. It does like this when you have a set of stuff running, there's always a little more existing. It's fairly implausible how well Windows 7 manages memory to get you the good number performance. If you think SuperFetch and Windows 7 itself are not doing the job then go ahead and disable the page file and turn off Superfetch .