Thread: How to add drives to an existing raid 5 array running on ubuntu

How to add drives to an existing raid 5 array running on ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 in my file server and i am also using the 3x400gig software raid 5 arrays on the ubuntu. I don't have any problem in running the array, but the thing is that i am looking to add more capacity to the array and the problem is that i am not having enough spare sata ports for doing this. I would like to ask you that can it be possible to swap the 400gig drives with larger drives, so that the size of the current array gets increased. So can anyone tell me the method to add drives to an existing raid 5 array running on ubuntu. If you have any idea related with this problem, then try to post it here. I will be eagerly waiting for your reply. Thanks.

Re: How to add drives to an existing raid 5 array running on ubuntu

I am using the ubuntu on my system and even i am planning to do the same thing with the raid 5 array. I am looking to add a drives from last 1 month, but not performed it yet. I have tried to search the solution on many sites, but have not succeeded in getting the solution. I have two 400gig drives and one larger drive. So i would like to ask you that can i do this expansion. If you have even some knowledge related with this topic, then try to help me out. Any help regarding this will be appreciated. Please do help me. Thanks.

I am having a solution for you, so i will suggest you to purchases a Terabyte external drive for your system. Try to back up the date in this drive and after doing that try to swap the smaller drives for larger ones. In this way you will be able to create a new array. I have even one more solution for doing this i.e. you will suggest you to purchase an SATA controller card and along with that you will also require to purchase larger case. You can try to add the additional drives through that controller. I think you can try any of the solution in order to solve your query. Hope it will help to you.

If you are planning to go for the TB drive solution as mentioned above. Then i will like to tell you few things. You will require connecting the drive through the new sata controller. Then try to copy the data from the RAID to one of the drive and after that you need to set up RAID 5 array with two disks. Once you have done this now try to copy the data from the first TB drive to the new RAID array and also try to add that particular drive to the array. This will allow you to have three drives. Hope have helped you. If you require more support related with this topic, then try to reply me back.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to implement the solution given by Chandranath and i was successfully able to add drives to the RAID. The solution which you have provided was really a wonderful as it helped me out and finally i would like to thank you for your kind support and also for giving you precious time in posting the reply.