Thread: Fedora: How to disable the usb ports?

Fedora: How to disable the usb ports?

Hello my friends , recently I have got my motherboard damaged of my computer system that has fedora 10 on it and due to which it affected one of the usb port out of the four ports on the board. Although the board has starting working but the usb ports is still damaged and I am not able to use it. So I just want to know how can I be able to disable to driver as we do in the device manager using windows. Since I am using linux operating system and much of the features are different as compared to windows so I would just want to know that is there any possibility to make this happen and how. I would be very thankful for whoever comes up with the solution.

Re: Fedora: How to disable the usb ports?

Hey, inorder to disable the usb ports on the linux based operating system than you have to write a udev rule that will have the instructions set to disable the usb ports which you want. Unlike the Windows there is no direct way as so as to disable the usb ports from the device manager. Writing the dev instruction you can disable the ability to use the usb ports. I hope that thuis solution works for you as it did worked for me and I dont think so that there could be any other solution to overcome this problem.

First of all I dont understand why is there any need to disable the usb port as it is already not working. Since your usb has been damaged then it is better to left it like that. Also, if you really want to disable the usb port then I guess that you have to make use of the firmware. The firmware will contain all the settings related to hardware and you can use that to disable which ever usb port which you want. Also, you should be very careful while using the firmware as it is not that easy as the Bios in Windows. It is recommended to use firmware only if you have enough knowledge of it.

Hey if really want to disable the usb ports on the computer system that has a fedora operating system on it then the other option which is available to you is making use of the GRUB. GRUB is a special feature developed for Multiboot Specification, which provides a user the choice to boot one of multiple operating systems installed on a computer, or select a specific kernel configuration available on a particular operating system's partitions. You can get rid of all USB devices by disabling kernel support for USB via GRUB. For this you have to first open the grub.confg or menu.list and append "nousb" to the kernel line as follows:
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8 nousb
    Using this you will surely be able to disable the ports which you want.

Hey if you want to disable the usb port such that it becomes invisible form the list than what you can do is to remove the driver that is supported by that usb port. Once the driver is uninstalled then your system wont recognize the usb port and in turn the usb port will become disabled from the device list. hope you understand what am I trying to say and then act accordingly.