Thread: Cannot remove certain registry keys with Driver Cleaner

Cannot remove certain registry keys with Driver Cleaner

Last week, I was uninstalling an Epson printer driver for the 830U. I found that there was an item called Epson Printer Software in add or remove program in the Control panel. When I clicked on the "Change/Remove" from right side of it then it shows me a popup dialog box with along with the "Printer Model" tab and it was highlighted the "Epson Stylus Photo 830U Series". I clicked OK on that and it says that the uninstallation is completed successfully but it does not uninstall anything. I can see that in the list again. If I do that again then this again gives me the same result.
    I searched for this on internet and found that if I delete all the registry entries with the word "Epson" then it can solve the issue. Therefore I tried the same but to my bad luck; I am not able to delete many registry entries. Whenever I try to delete that then it shows me an error message which says ""Cannot delete EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key.” Here are the key that I am not able to delete:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830==ADU
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830==ADU
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo==AD_830U

One of my friends, suggested me to use the Driver cleaner which can solve the issue. I tried that also but was not helpful to me. I am very frustrated because of this. If you know that why this is happening to me or how can I solve the issue then please post your suggestion. I will be really thankful to all of you for your suggestions.
    Last edited by Williamss; 16-11-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Re: Cannot remove certain registry keys with Driver Cleaner

Earlier, I was also using the Epson printers but this is one of the main reasons that I have stopped using it. I would like to tell you that the driver for that is badly written. I tried many things to solve the issue when I was facing the similar problem but I could not make that out. So finally I decided to re-install the operating system to solve the issue with the epson drivers and their entries. This took me out of the issue. You can also do that but make sure that you have tried all the other things and make this a last option.

Before going for the re-installation of the operating system, you can try this to see whether it solve the problem or not. First of all you have to remove all the 'USB composite' entries which is there in the device manager. Once you are done with this then you have to reboot the system and then Windows will rebuild the USB Driver. After that, I think you will be able to remove that software from your computer.

You can try one more thing. With the offending registry key which is highlighted, you have to go to 'Security > Permissions' via menu and there you have to set the permissions to 'Everyone - Full Control'. If you do this then only you will be able to delete that entries. I would like to tell you that you may need to check the box for 'replace on all sub-keys' as well if the key that you want to delete has any subkeys under it.

Have you tried to use the CCleaner Software? This is very common and very good software. This may help you to do that. It has a very easy interface so that you will not have any problem or confusing while operating that. As it deals with the system files and folder so whenever you try to attempt any action then it will prompt you for the confirmation. The very important par of this software that will be most useful to you is its registry checker. This will check the integrity of the entries and fixes the bad entries after doing the back up. Just search for this on internet and I am sure that you will be able to find it easily. Download and install that to your computer. During installation, it might ask you to install the Google Chrome. You can select that also if you want.

You may not follow the proper way to remove the entries and which is creating the problem for you. Therefore, I am giving the standard way to remove that. Just follow the steps below and see what you have done wrong.
    1. First of all you have to open the registry editor and for that go to start and select Run. In that type “regedit” without the quotes and Hit enter.
    2. You will see a Window with two panes in which the left one will be for the navigation of certain registry and right one is for the values selected keys.
    3. If you want to edit the key then you have to right click on that and select the “Modify” option.
    4. You can also double click on that. Another way to do that is to go to the “Edit” menu and you have to type the chosen value in the window and hit OK button.
    5. Just follow the above mentioned steps if you want to delete the registry key. For this you have to select the “Delete” option. If you are getting the list of the result then you have to plug then on web before you actually delete them.
    6. If you want to add new registry key then you have to go to Edit menu and select the option new and select the type for the entry.
    7. If you want to export any key then you have to right click on that object and select the “Export” from menu.
    8. After that you have to enter the file name and exported registry files with .reg extension.
    9. You can also click on the “File” menu select the “Import” option if you want to import the key.
    10. If you are done with your work then close the editor for the registry and reboot the system. After rebooting only the changes will take effect.