Thread: Concept idea VMWare Server Environment

Concept idea VMWare Server Environment

Thinking of space and cost reasons, I would like my home network which currently has two physical servers (1 W2K DC and a 1 W2k Server with Proxy) to switch to a server of the two maps in a VMWare. Currently I have not yet the idea of how I transpose it. To test I have currently put on a workstation running XP and installed VMWare Server in the 2 (1SB and 1 server for the proxy). Whether this is the best, I do not know. Maybe someone has an idea for me. The following solutions would be to offer :
    1. Basic installation of the DC on the PC and the proxy then on a VM on the DC
    2. Normal client or server operating system on your PC and install both servers on VM Ware
    Furthermore, there is (especially in Solution2) the question of how it is with the backup. Previously ran the backup on the DC from the tape drive. Is it possible to continue to secure the data on tape, even if the server running in a VM? As it is with the firewall? So far, the FW is installed on the proxy. If the proxy is now running in a VM, the FW on the proxy or the physical machine to be installed? On ideas and proposals, I'm curious ....

Re: Concept idea VMWare Server Environment

First, Windows 2000 Server running soon completely out at Microsoft, EC will not give more updates. Internet should be somewhere in the game, you will not walk for too long ;-) Ad 2 What brings you to the DC if you only need the client to boot? How do you willl you log on as the domain? (Possibility would be a long wait and automatic booting the DC before you sign up) Disadvantages: If a hardware, all three systems affected. What you need for a PC ever a DC? If you want to virtualize, you installed on a PC an operating system on which the two VM-Ware's work, and on an extra PC.

There's probably arrived a bit wrong. In fact it is so that I run on my network 2 servers and 2 clients. The two clients stay there. Just like the two physically between server "move" me and then mapped using VMWare on a single physical machine. Then you can even virtualize. There is Windows 2008 R2 server not shared by VM-Ware. That you should still wait and then install all the server with the OS. Either you install DC NEN as a basic system on which VM Ware and is then the other server.

I think that you should have look at these points :
    1. No. Access to physical hardware is always problematic. Apart from the era of tape drives is long gone. Think about it, on the use of a NAS system: as you can on it _ALLEN_ of servers and clients to access and store backups.
    2. A firewall is nothing to "install", you can - a firewall is a concept, but at least one appliance that is completely detached from the rest of the network. And a proxy has nothing to do nothing with firewall.