Thread: XP boot issue : Can not login

XP boot issue : Can not login

I have the windows box which is running XP pro. I have installed all the service packs. Last night when I was trying to shut down the machine then I found that there is no shut down menu appears and therefore I turned the power off. Today, when I tried to boot that then I found that there is no login box or any other user account on the screen as it should be displayed. I have not seen any such issue before, so I don’t have any idea about this issue. If you know anything about that or how I can let this out then please post that over here so that I can login to my system. I will appreciate any helpful suggestion.

Re: XP boot issue : Can not login

This can be temporary problem. Just boot your computer and as you told that it is not showing you the Login window then wait for some time. Press CTRL + Alt + Del and this will open a new small window and from there you have to select the option for login. This will ask you for the username and the password. Provide the same and hit enter button. This may let you to login to the system.

There may be some problem with the settings in your computer that is unwanted and causing the issue for you. You can try to use the LKGC which stands for Last Known Good Configuration. This will reset your computer to the setting to which it was working fine for the last time. Here are the steps that you have to follow to solve that:
    1. First of all boot your computer.
    2. Press F8 key when you see the message that says: "Please select the operating system to start".
    3. This will open the Windows advance option menu. Select the Last Known Good Configuration with the arrow keys and press Enter.
    4. If you are having any other operating system on your computer then you have to select the Microsoft Windows XP from the list and press Enter.

Have you tried to start your computer in safe mode? If not then you have to do it now. To start the window in safe mode, start the computer and while it is getting loaded press the F8 key continuously and this will open a new screen that will have various options to boot. Select the Safe Mode from there using the arrow keys from keyboard and press Enter. This will start the computer in the safe mode. After that you can use the inbuilt setting for restoring the computer to the last configuration which was working without any problem. Once you are done with that then you can restart your computer and this will solve the problem for you.

For the issues like this, you can also try to run the chkdsk and this will scan the entire computer memory for any bugs and if it found any then it will fix that and report that back to you. I am telling you to do this because it may be the problem with the memory bug. If you are not able to do that then you can insert the XP disk to your computer and try to run the recovery console. If you go by this way then you will be able to keep the files and the info. These are the two possible suggestions that I can give to you and I hope that any of that will help you solve the issue.

You can try the suggestion posted above and if that does not help you then you can do a system repair on your computer. Just take a Windows XP CD and insert it to the CD ROM of your computer. Restart your computer and it show you “press any key to boot from CD…” Press Enter when it shows this message. This will load all the files from the CD to the computer memory. After that it will boot itself and again show you the same message. This time don’t do anything. And it will open a new window for installation. You have to select the Repair option from there and press enter button. This will replace all the missing or corrupted files from your system. Let that process be complete and remove the disc. Restart the computer and this may solve the issue for you.

Before doing that you should make sure that you have tried all the other options and make this as a last option. If that also does not work then the only option left for you is formatting the computer.