Thread: CD-ROM mounting issue on Linux

CD-ROM mounting issue on Linux

I do not know why I am getting this error. I have Linux in the system and everything was fine, but when I went to mount the CD-ROM I just cannot. Well for mounting the CD-ROM I made use of the Slackware 9.1. After the successful installation of the Slackware 9.1 I was able to operate the same without any issue. I was able to use the CD-ROM pretty nicely for the first time but after that when I tried it for the second time I was just poped up with the error. Whenever I try to mount the CD-ROM I just get the following message:
    mount /mnt/cdrom
    mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
    /mnt/cdrom exsits

I really can not understand what can be the possible issue for this. I have tried to look on the internet for the solution but really cannot find anything useful. I will be really happy if I can have the solution for the same on the faster track.

Re: CD-ROM mounting issue on Linux

I am of the opinion that you will have to make some more extra attempt so that I can understand the query of your and can help you in the matter properly. I would like to have a look at the /etc/fstab of yours. If at all possible please try to post the same as soon as you can. In addition to that I also want to ask if you have symlinked the /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc. Please make sure about this. As this is really important. Well at the moment I can suggest you only this much and next when you will come up with the details.

Well you have mentioned that the installation of the Slackware went smoothly but I think that there was really something wrong there. Well on the very first boot I just want to get confirmed if at all you were able to see that the kernel recognized the CD-ROM as an IDE device. Well let me know about the same. For that you will be required to use the following command and I think that this will help you in the matter. Here is the command:
    Code:
    dmesg
    The output of this command will let you know if the drive is at all recognized or not. Well let me know if that is at all recognized as IDE or SCSI. Hope that I will be able to get the post from your side soon. See for the cable connections as well.

I really think that you will have to reinstall the Slackware for you so that the CD-ROM can be mounted on the LINUX. Well please go again for the installation and before going doing that please make sure that you have symlinked the /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc. After that go for the fresh installation of the Slackware and I am sure that you will be able to get out of this situation. Actually the /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to the device that is actually present. So you will have to have this properly symlinked. Well the CD – ROM that you have is a plain CD-ROM or CD-RW let me know about that too.

Completely agreed with what Emiliio suggested. Well the things with the other operating systems are really tough to handle and I think that is the reason that you were having the issue with the mounting of the CD-ROM. I have also faced the similar issue but the reinstallation of the Slackware really did the trick on my side and hence I would be happy to suggest you the same here. Well when it did work in my case I am of the opinion that the same will work on your side too. Please let us know if this made the difference.

Really the REINSTALLATION of the Slackware did work in the favor. I was happy that the solution was within the reach and I was able to overcome the issue of the mounting with much less difficulty. Well I was having a doubt and would have done it on that moment but was content with the way installation preceded. Well I really do not have any idea what went wrong on the previous occasion but now the things are going on pretty nicely and that is thing that I wanted. Thanks a lot for the valuable suggestions anyway.