Thread: Error shows bash: ns: command not found using ns-2.31

Error shows bash: ns: command not found using ns-2.31

I was getting problem with EVTG. So I have installed ns-2.34 on my system and now it working fine without any issue. I tried to install an add-on called CRcn (cognitive radio), but I am getting a problem in Makefile.in. the crcn was fine on ns-2.31. So I again switched from ns-2.34 to ns-2.31. After the installing ns-2.31, I was unable to use and it gives me an error saying
    bash: ns: command not found
    Why I am getting this error message and what do with it now? Anyone have ideas about this?

Re: Error shows bash: ns: command not found using ns-2.31

The program which you have installed should be located in the appropriate directory in order to run. Otherwise you will not be able to run it with a full path. The full path format is something like this “/home/victor/Desktop/NS2-2.31/ns-allinone-2.31/ns-2.31/ns” you should find the correct path like this. To get the correct path use find $NS -name "ns". I was thinking that the file may be in $NS directory. Try to run this and check that you are getting the right path. Otherwise assume that the program is not installed in $NS directory.

I don’t know what to tell here but make sure that the crcn patch is not for ns-2.34. It was only for ns-2.31. First remove ns-2.34 then install ns-2.31 into home directory. Then extract the files of crcn.zip to ns-2.31 folder. Then rename the makefiel and Makefile.in inside ns-2.31 folder. Then get the latest Makefile.in from the internet and put it into the same folder. Then run the crcn.Jar.

This kind of error message you only get when the bash cannot find the executable file called ns. I need several answers regarding your installation. Which is the distribution you are currently using? From what source you have installed the ns package? What is the path name of the executable file? Is the installation puts is the executable file in the right directory? Did you try the conventional installation of ns? Are you running the commands from its root directory? You need to find the answer for these questions.