Thread: Errors in module assistant on debian

Errors in module assistant on debian

I have Debian installed on my desktop PC. I am using the module-assistant to install some of the packages. When installing I got the problem in the middle of the installation. All was fine and going a I expected until I break to a situation where I required “module-assistant fakesource” to get and run another module appropriately. By mistake it installed the corrupted image. I was unable to find the way to instruct the Module –assistant to re-download the package. Apparently I found the image location and deleted myself. Now I thought that the Module assistant will download the file again and find it by itself. The problem is it still unable to download. Can you tell me the reason why it so?

Re: Errors in module assistant on debian

The problem is that may I couldn’t able to give you the right solution. Because I don’t know what kind of errors you are getting on system Module –assistant. But I can give you several hints which may help you to overcome the issue. Open the module-assistant in a command line format and then use the following code. See what output you are getting.
    Code:
    module-assistant get fakesource
    module-assistant a-i fakesource
    module-assistant clean
    module-assistant clean fakesource
    module-assistant clean kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2

As far as I know the issues of module-assistant in Debian known from past several years. The problem is it is still unable to fix. Some issues are not getting the right or proper solution because of the unavailability of bug information from the user. Still nobody knows and nobody cares about its issues. Don’t ask the reason for that. Have you tried to use the –force command? I tried it but I got some errors. May you should try it first. If there is an alternative to module-assistant then go ahead for that unless trying to fix the same issue again and again

Everyone knows that Debain used the module-assistant to install packages. Both are depended one on the other. I heard that there is an upadate for Module-assistant from Debian. It tends to fixes certain vulnerability and bugs. The vulnerability will happen due to insecure temporary files which were created by errors in the rule-file. This will affect the packages as well.

The Debian module-assistant is the most powerful tool or application to build or install the kernel modules. It refers to the source to build the kernel modules. It aims the source code from the apt repositories and then generates the binary .deb packages. We can use it in either command line or interactive mode. In order to find the installed or downloaded package files you will need to find the location where it puts the source and where it will compile. By finding those location you can manually clean up the stuff and can go for the re-download again.