Thread: mkdosfs cause invalid boot sector

mkdosfs cause invalid boot sector

I desire to be capable to make a bootable fat32 partition as of linux. The partition be supposed to be the first primary partition furthermore is as regards 8 GB in size.Below is the description I have tried:
    1. make use of fdisk to generate the partition as well as set the type to fat32.
    2. make use of mkdosfs on the way to format the partition to fat32.
    3. make use of ms-sys to build the boot sector bootable.
    4. unzip win2k on the way to partition this partition will not boot.
    At this time here is the mkdosfs command line I make use of
    mkdosfs -v /dev/hda1
    mkdosfs -v -F 32 /dev/hda1
    by means of or without -F 32 the end result is identical. Opposing to the memo in the manpage mkdosfs appear to be familiar with that it should make use of fat32. If I have missed any thing please help. Your suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: mkdosfs cause invalid boot sector

If you desire dual boot between Linux or win2k. So just permit windows installation to build the partition as well as install on it.Windows will twist up your mbr make note that this will not allow you boot nothing besides than windows other than with a linux rescue cd / floppy you be able to re-install the boot loader as well as configure that to boot whichever windows or linux

It appear similar to mkdosfs is producing invalid boot sectors. ranish partman is reporting that the partition formatted by means of mkdosfs is comprising an invalid boot sector.I would suggest you to attempt the below suggestions to achieve your goal.
    1. make use of fdisk in order to build the partition as well as set the type to fat32 .
    2. Attempt to boot to dos and format the partition by means of ranish partman
    3. Reverse to linux. Make use of ms-sys on the way to create bootable
    4. unzip win2k on the way to partition and this partition will boot
    Hope this will help to get rid of your problem.If you have any other trouble let me know.

Thank you for your reply but this is not what I am looking. Locating up a dual boot is not an issue for me. I am to a certain extent well-known by means of the intricacies of the master boot record, the boot sector as well as boot managers.My extended period aim is to be capable to generate a linux boot cd by means of which I am able to save/restore windows. To perform so I will enclose to be capable to generate a partition from scratch in addition to make it bootable.The same as I describe above I have completed this effectively approximately completely beneath linux. The simply thing I haven't got correct is the formatting by means of mkdosfs. As assumed it creates a file system which is functioning right. I am able to copy files on the way to the partition as well as read them. except the boot sector is unacceptable and as a result I cannot boot from the partition.

I have read on their project page at this ms-sys program. Below is what they have mentioned about known problems. Present there have been information regarding unbootable FAT32 partitions produced by means of "mformat -F c:". Single workaround is on the way to make use of gnu parted in order to make the partition in its place. In view of the fact that version 1.1.3 ms-sys have the switch -p which is believed on the way to fix this trouble. The trouble has as well been accounted on partitions formatted by means of mkdosfs as well as mkfs.vfat.

Procedure to install Remote Installation Services
    1. click Start, position to Settings, furthermore click Control Panel.
    2. After this Double-click Add/Remote Programs.
    3. Double-click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    4. Scroll down in addition to select Remote Installation Services furthermore Click Next.
    5. place in the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM into the CD drive plus click OK . The essential files are copied to the server.
    message: subsequent to the CD is entered, a dialog box request if you desire to upgrade to the operating system. Click No in addition to exit this screen.
    6. Click Finish to finish the wizard.
    7. If You are prompted to restart your computer. Click Yes.
    8. When the server is done rebooting, logon as a local administrator.

As per my experience I think if you install windows plus allow windows perform the partition / format furthermore subsequent to that you copy the entire partition by means of 'dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/<my file>' command, it be supposed to copy the boot sector also. However a message on top of windows 2000: it will store up a number of pc precise information which can't presently be copied to other pc's. You primary need to 'prepare' windows intend for this. This can be completed.