Thread: Importance of Command Line User Environment in Linux

Importance of Command Line User Environment in Linux

I am using windows desktop for checking mails, news, writing and posting blogs, listening, watching audio and video etc. I am professional person in my career. So I usually visit good websites to improve y knowledge. I don’t have any knowledge about the command line interface in Linux. I thought when there is a sufficient GUI operating Systems are available why should I go for CLI. Is it important to have the Command Line Knowledge? Please suggest a Linux Distribution for me because I am a complete CLUE (Command Line User Environment) ignorant person.

Re: Importance of Command Line User Environment in Linux

It is not our choice to decide which distribution is suitable for you. Every Distribution of Linux has its own kind of popularity and fans. Now a days the command line interface in not popular environment, unless in the server side. So you don’t need to have the much knowledge about it. There are lots of live disks of Linux Distributions available in the market or the internet. Some are also for free. You can try these versions without installing to your windows desktop. Some versions provide more features than the windows OS. Some time it is necessary to have the basic knowledge about Linux commands.

The Mandriva distribution will provide all the features and experience you want from the Linux. This distribution mostly contains scientific and educational programs along with office software and web browsers. I am not telling you to install it. Just buy the live CD and test it before installing. Also you should have the right system configuration to install Mandriva. If you don’t want to lose Windows Os then you can create a dual boot in your system and launch any OS as your choice using the boot up menu. Also there are few flash stick OS’s available like slax, mepis and knoppix.

As you are a regular desktop user and it is not the big task to choose the Distro of your choice. If you were a server side user then it becomes little difficult to find and choose the server side linux distribution. The most important point is what X server Environment is the most favorite. There are 2 big one of these kinds and they are KDE and Gnome. The difference you will notice in distribution when there something happens terribly wrong.

As I gone through your problem I suggest you that go for the ubuntu. It is the most popular Linux Distribution running around worldwide. It is a debian based package manager. It is also easier to install. You can freely download the iso file of it and then create a live CD or complete installation CD. If you go for different distribution you will get the different kind of programs and application packages by default. As far the KDE and Gnome matter, it is possible to install both on single desktop and run one at login time.