Thread: "-bash: No such file or directory" (File exist)

"-bash: No such file or directory" (File exist)

Guys, I don’t know that what the problem with the bash is. Whenever, I try to access any file with it then is shows me that it gives me message "-bash: No such file or directory". Although the file is there in the same directory with all permissions with a quick 'ls' command. This problem took place on installation of the Ubuntu Server and it has also been effort with ' Sudo '. I that know that what will be the default troubleshooting steps for this issue for this problem and what is the reason behind this? I am sure that the path to that file is proper. Please share your ideas if you have any. Thank you very much.

Re: "-bash: No such file or directory" (File exist)

You can try to edit the file that is not getting found by the bash. You should also complete the naming properly after naming it because there is possibility that it may contain some whitespace and that is why it is creating the naming problem. If you have already tried all this then check whether that file can be opened with the file Manager and see whether it is able to open it or not?

OK, It is better idea to try the above things that is suggested by Dolsy_bendal and I wish that it should help you in any manner but if you provide the command that you are using and the output that you are getting with that command then it will be easier for us to provide you the exact reason and solution for this. So please post the same to get proper answer.

Thank you for your reply but I would like to tell you that I cannot actually show these commands unless I myself change all the particulars out which would be supposed to create the information ineffective in the first place. It is getting executed on itself with '$./FILENAME', '$SUDO ./FILENAME ' or '$/path/to/directory'. After that I am only given with the generic bash that ' No such file or directory’ but I can see the existence of that file.

I think that it has to do something between Arch like running a 64-bit execute without having 64 bit library. Also tell me is there is any technique to inform which ARCH the file kind is?

You should check for the permission of the file. If that is not having the proper permission then also it may create such problems. Sometimes this gives the permission denied error message. You can do a quick test. Try to attempt the ' su - ' and see whether it provide the same result? You can also create a test file that has the same path and the permission and try to test it on that see whether it works r not. Finally I think that there is problem with the file itself that is not getting located and that is why bash is showing you the error message. I wish that this will help you in any manner to solve the problem for you.

I am sure that you know that the Linux is case sensitive. That means that it considers the character ‘A’ and characters ‘a’ as two different characters and not the same. You can try to copy the file from the ls output and paste it on the command. You can copy it by selecting it and paste that by middle clicking. This would covenant with whatever thing similar to odd characters. Just try it out and see the result.

I have a couple of possibilities for this issue that I am listing below.

• It is possible that the file or the program that you are trying to execute has any white space either it is leading or tailing the name of the file.
    • There is also possibility that the file or the program that is not being located is missing some libraries. You should check that if "ldd ./FILENAME" results any missing library.