Thread: GRUB messed up while installing Kubuntu 10.10

GRUB messed up while installing Kubuntu 10.10

I have utilized and used the open-SUSE for a many time, and now I wish to use the Kubuntu but I was annoying to install Kubuntu 10.10 in adding to opensuse and Microsoft Windows 7 on a Gateway desktop. From the CD I got the exits version and then determined to push install. The whole thing went fine still I was asked to reboot my computer system. I see a black screen with some message: “Error: no such device:” At this time the “ls” is the only command which will not react with Unknown command. Here I am totally vanished. At this time I have only one option that is “ctrl+alt+del” which reboot my system. I feel that My computer is useless still I not sort this problem. Please someone help me to know the problem and to know the GRUB properly.
    Last edited by HoGaN 77; 11-11-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Re: GRUB messed up while installing Kubuntu 10.10

I don’t have the solution for your issue but I have some information related to your topic. Some GRUB 2 is the default or evasion boot loader. As the computer login and start, GRUB 2 either presents a menu and waits for user contribution or automatically moves control to an OS kernel. GRUB 2 is a successor of Grand Unified Boot-loader. It is provide the user considerably increased flexibility and performance. And yes one more thing is that the GRUB 2 is completely Free Software.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

I actually have the same problem. And I have run the live CD again after Bigga Lexx‘s post And did get to a login screen. But unluckily I may have entered something wrong during the password setup so that I could not able to log in. After all this I have run the whole installation procedure two times more, but every time finish with the similar error: ”no such device:”. Please provide some information or some help which help me to clear this problem.
    Blessings to you

Make use of a file manager to increase the partition where Kubuntu is installed, after those just edit both the “/boot/grub/grub.cfg” and “/etc/fstab”, if you can boot the live CD; utilize the command “blkid” to search the UUID of your drives. sudo blkid, do that in terminal. Place number in the “/boot/grub/grub.cfg and /etc/fstab” If your Kubuntu install is on “sda2” and “blkid” output sda2 is UUID numbers. Edit /etc/fstab and make certain that the UUID matches the actual one. After editing that attempt to see if it boots.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

I have some installation instruction of GRUB 2. It is set up by default on new installations of Ubuntu. Releases such as Ubuntu 9.04 which are improved to 9.10 will keep GRUB except the user votes for upgrade to GRUB 2. Earlier releases of Ubuntu can be upgraded to GRUB 2 if the user desires. You can verify the existing version installed on your computer system via the command line. Open the Terminal and type: “grub-install –v”. GRUB 2 should show a version number.

The alternate install CD permits you to execute certain expert installations of Kubuntu. It offers for the below situations:
    1. Setting up automatic operations;
    2. Upgrading from older settings up with no network access;
    3. LVM and RAID partitioning;
    4. Setups on systems with fewer than about 256MB of RAM, because the low memory systems not able to run full desktop environment.