Thread: Compile kernel 2.6.35.7 for centos 5.5

Compile kernel 2.6.35.7 for centos 5.5

Anyone ever compiled the kernel 2.6.35.7 for centos 5.5? I am newly in this case and I compile it very first time. The codes which I have entered are as follow:
    • make mrproper
      make clean
      cp /boot/config-2.6.18-194.el5config /usr/src/linux-2.6.35.7/.config

After doing this I simply choose “.config” in to the Load an Alternate Configuration File. Then I saved the changes and installed the new that is fresh kernel. As the same way I modified the “menu.lst” file as well, but it unsuccessful to boot the system. Please someone help me solve my problem or someone tell me where I am wrong. And give some more information about kernel to know it very well. Please give some tips for this issue.

Re: Compile kernel 2.6.35.7 for centos 5.5

How much I know about kernel now days the command you are using don’t necessitate to be run; just try to do the following.
    • Enter the CD of Linux – kernel and then source
      Make all
      Make modules_install
      And then make install

It will make access in “grub.conf” and it boot from new compiled kernel. Try this may this will help you.

I had the similar difficulty with my CentOS 5.4 and Kernel 2.6.32.5. I tried the following thing, may it also help you in your problem. I know the versions are not same but try this if it helps you.
    1. In first step, in the kernel source configuration, enable the “CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2”.
    2. If you run "make menuconfig", browse to: General Setup - enable denounced system files features, and enable this alternative. Then exit the menu configuration and save your modifying.
    3. With the text editor, Edit your “.config” file and adjust entry: “CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y”
    4. Save the “.config” file. Carry on with kernel compiling as per usual.
    5. Hopefully this will help you.

I also had the equal difficulty with my CentOS 5.4 and kernel 2.6.32.7, which I require for real-time extensions. I tried many solutions and I might boot the new and standard kernel. But this is not enough I still have two error messages at the time of the boot process: "insmod: error placing/lib/dm-region-hash.ok -1 fikle exists". And have a trouble with IP tables that is: "could not restore IP tables line 15". Anyone have any solution or any ideas how to resolve these error messages?

If you want the real meaning of kernel then I must say that the kernel is what makes Linux "Linux". Every allocation has a Linux kernel at the center, frequently with their own tweaks built-in but still using the normal or you can say standard kernel as the support. There are times you will require to install a dissimilar kernel. A new kernel version has the many features which you truly wish for, or maybe you wish to modify some aspects of the configuration.

I think as my point of view more superior users may only require the thin on what is required for a custom kernel. This is for them. Actually I don’t have information about Set up /boot/grub/menu.lst currently, but I am sure I must give you the live information of it very soon. You cannot be able to boot with pv-grub except there is a “menu.lst” file telling pv-grub which kernel options are presented.