Thread: How to start file with same extension and with the same program in Mac os

How to start file with same extension and with the same program in Mac os

Hello, I am using macbook pro and having no problem in using it. I am looking for an option using which files can be open with same extension with the same program. This is because if i am opening .avi file in my mac os, then it gets open with QuickTime, as it is by default in mac os. Instead of this i want to make the things such that any .avi file must get opened with vlc. Can i do this thing on my system? Is there anyone who is having knowledge related with this topic? Please try to help me out. Any kind of help regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How to start file with same extension and with the same program in Mac os

I have a solution for this issue. So try to follow these steps. First you need to the finder and select any AVI file there.Then inside the file menu select Get Info option. There is a section known as "open with", here you will have to select VLC from the menu list. Finally also click on "change all" button. Once you are done with this, all the AVI files will get opened with VLC player instead of QuickTime Player. I think after trying this you will definitely be able to solve your issue. If you need more help on this, then try to reply me back.
    Last edited by 5parts; 10-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks for giving instance reply. I have tried your solution and it has really solved my problem. For open with option i have selected VLC and now i am able to open any of the .avi video files in vlc player. It was really a wonderful solution and finally i would also like to thank you for your help.

I have recently purchased macbook pro. The problem i am getting is that I have selected VLC player to open all the .avi files in my mac os, but instead of this when i open any of my avi files then it gets opened in QuickTime instead of VLC. I have no idea why i am getting this problem? If you can kind of help related with this issue, then please try to help me out on this issue, so that i can come out of it. Thanks.