Thread: How to Play .WMA files in iTunes

How to Play .WMA files in iTunes

Very recently I have move to MAC Operating System. While that I am in the process of moving all my files from PC which have contain more than 500 files. I am not able to do so because there is not any Software available in the market to convert that stuff. So please help me to solve my problem.

Re: How to Play .WMA files in iTunes

iTunes are generally used to convert your songs from WMA to MP3 OR AAC. Then you have to just drag and drop them into the iTunes But I’d say 50 at a time for just a safety side. After that they will convert it automatically, this is totally depending on how the importing preference are set within iTunes. Onto the iTunes library window and a dialogue box will appear asking you if you want the .wma files converted.

After converting all file you have to just move them over to your Mac

No is the my answer, you cannot play WMA files in iTunes, and I think it's going to stay that way for quite a while, if not forever. And I am also hoping that this will not for long time also.
    There's no easy way to convert those files to MP3 without using a Windows computer. WMA is ALMOST platform-specific to Windows. I think Microsoft will love to keep it that way it self.
    We understand that WMA is more widespread than AAC, but Apple is pushing for AAC compatibility everywhere.

iTunes refuses to manage WMA files not more than just for a marketing reason, but here is the steps how we can we manage to run it:
    1.Install Flip4Mac's WM Components (from their download page), required to play WMA in QuickTime, the Finder's preview column, and many other applications -- but not iTunes!
    2.Open your WMA file in QuickTime Player (Pro version required), then save as reference movie.
    3.Drag the newly created .mov file onto iTunes. Now you can play it as you would any other song.

Before the few days I am also facing the same problem. Generally WMA is one of the most popular audio codec’s, only behind MP3 and possibly now AAC
    Where WMA is stands for Windows Media Audio. It is a proprietary audio format owned by Microsoft, which is the part of Microsoft's Windows Media technology.
    Initially intended to combat the increasingly popular MP3 format, WMA was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to digital music

Newer versions of iTunes will convert WMA files to AAC (or MP3) when first imported. They will NOT import or convert WMA files purchased from online stores with the Microsoft DRM. That means you can only convert this when WMA file is unprotected OR unlicensed.