Thread: Files on Server display as UNIX Executable Files

Files on Server display as UNIX Executable Files

Well I have the problem with the Files that are on the servers. Whenever I am trying to access the files using the Mac OS 10.4.x I have seen that the files can not be accessed. I have seen this, a lot of time and I will be really very happy if some one can tell me how to make the situation a little bit worthy so that I can have my files back on to the track. Any help in this matter will be really appreciated. Hope that I will get the response soon.

Re: Files on Server display as UNIX Executable Files

Well for the very first time I would like you to welcome you on this forum and we will definitely try to help you with the situation of yours. Well in order to start I just want to ask some of the questions so that we can come up with the proper solutions. Can you please tell me what the Server that you are trying to access is? I mean to ask what the nature of the Server is. Is it a Windows Server? Please let me know about the same. Also can you please tell me what is the nature of the Files that you have on the server and that you want to have access on? Are you using the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol for accessing the files from the server? Please get these things cleared and then only we will be able to help you with your problem.

You have mentioned that you have tried to access the files from the server using the Mac OS 10.4.x. Well that is fine up to here. Well I just want to know if you have just upgraded the things on the MacBook of yours. Well I mean to ask is it like that you were using some older version of the Mac OS and when you upgraded you are coming up with this kind of issue. Please let me know about the same at the earliest. Well I assure you if that is the case then I can really help you with the problem. Hope we will be able to see your post soon.

Well it is really nice to see the Response coming so soon from you all. Really you all are quick and have at least responded to the query. Regarding the Server so it is not a Windows Server, it is actually an Appleā€™s Server. It has the G5 that is running 10.4.9 Server. In addition to that I want to say for accessing the files I am using the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP). I do not think there is any problem with the protocols. Regarding the nature of the files that you have asked, then most of the files are Quark and fonts. So I think that I have finished the first part of the Questions that you have asked. Now switching to the next part of the Questions, and then let me tell you that you have guessed it right, I was using the Mac OS 10.3.x and the problem started to appear when I upgraded the OS of the MacBook. Before that I was able to access the files and only after I did the upgrade I was not allowed to access the files. Now I think that you will be able to help me with the solution as you (DanielV) have mentioned that you will help me. Please guys help me with the Files on the server.

I would simply suggest you to have the downgrade of the OS that you have upgraded at the moment. I am of the opinion that there is some issue with the Operating System and hence you all are getting the trouble. Well you should have done this on the very first time and I think that it is the only solution with which at the moment you can go with. Just downgraded to the previous version and see if that can bring the unstable scenario to a stable one.

I am also in complete agreement with what Ernesto4 has said. I think that it will be really nice if at all you can have the roll back done on your notebook. Well I even think that the simple rollback is really not going to help you. I would suggest you to have the complete Uninstallation of the Mac OS 10.4.x and then again go with the installation of the Mac OS 10.3.x. I think that there is some of the bug that is not allowing the latest version of the OS to function well. Have that done and I am sure that when the bug will be rectified you will be able to use that in the same manner as you are using the Mac OS 10.4.x. Till then I think you should enjoy the Stable OS that your system is comfortable with.

I have come across the situation before and I am of the opinion that it sometime happens because of the legacy data. The problem may be due to the improper OS X and the data that is uploaded along with that. I will be happy if you can have the have the updates of the current operating system i.e. 10.4.x. It will be wise if you can have the updates or I would have to say that what Deep123 has suggested is the more specific option to go with.