Thread: Problem in logging in to Ubuntu 10.10

Problem in logging in to Ubuntu 10.10

Hello friends, i have my computer system at home with windows xp already running on it, I recently downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.10 from live-cd. During the time of the installation there was unusual error message that were coming on the screen. The errors were like "certain files couldn't be copied and would you like to view them or not". I ignored it, and continue it with the installation procedure. After the installation was complete and I tried logging into with linux, I was not able to do so. I tried many times but again type same result. Can any help me to solve this issue.

re: Problem in logging in to Ubuntu 10.10

First of all can you provide me with complete configuration of your computer system. Some of the old processor or motherboards wont support linux on it. Also, since you have used live cd so, I would like to ask you that have you ever tried it before or its the first time use. Also, after installing the linux, have you started your computer system using windows operating system that you previously had on your system. If not than try all the things that are mentioned in the post. Also, you have mentioned that you are getting some error messages regarding missing file, so have you got any internet connection at home, such that you can download any missing file if there any from the internet to see if that solve your problem.

Thanks for your cool reply, I would like to inform you that I do have internet connection at my home and also I have done booting from the windows operating system that I had on system and guess what it worked absolutely with no problem at all. And as far as my system configuration is concerned I am using celeron 1.3Ghz processor, 512MB ram, IntelDirect AGP 3D and emachine T-1221. I think celeron is compatible with linux and it should show no errors, and as far as I believe there could be some form of buffer error or some drm related error.

Hey why dont you try using Vesa safe graphics option at grub2 boot line at grub2 boot menu this might help you in locating the missing files that might be causing the error. For this you have to highlight the ubuntu entry and press "e" to edit line then enter on the kernel line "xforcevesa". This give you the names of the file that are missing in the installation of the linux and which you need to reinstall it. Without the complete installation there is no way that the installation process is complete and you definitely have to install all the missing files using either the web or get a new installation CD, inorder to complete the process of the installation.

Hello my friend looks like you have got into problems which are mostly faced by everyone trying to install the linux. There are few questions which might require that you make yourself clear How did you install ubuntu through windows or boot the live cd? If you installed through windows that may cause you some bugs. Try install straight from the live cd. Also you must verify your CD checksum sometimes the error is caused due to bad checksum of your CD. Also, make sure that you have selected the option to verify the CD while you are about to boot it. This are the kind of precautions you should take while installing the linux software.

Hey mate if you are able to boot windows xp operating system and not able to boot linux from your system that has both the operating system, then I would like to tell you that instead of using MBR you should install GRUB to the Linus partition. GRUB is independent of any particular operating system and can be sued to, function-specific OS. The purpose of the GRUB kernel is to recognize filesystems and load boot images, and it provides both menu-driven and command-line interfaces to perform these functions. So it would help you in successfully install the linux as both of them goes very well together and you will be successfully able to run linux on your system

Hey thanks for all those who have come out with the solution for my problem, I have successfully installed and ran linux on my computer system without any problem . Also the windows perfectly goes hand in hand with the linux. Presently I am able to load ubuntu without the use of any live CD as such. Also the formula of using the GRUB really helped me to solve this issue, I would want every one to use this solution how are facing any problem in logging in linux. Also, now I have come to know how to accesss and view the grub record to edit it. Once again thanks everyone for their assistance.