Thread: How to install a .tar.gz. file which belongs to Broadcom BCM4312

How to install a .tar.gz. file which belongs to Broadcom BCM4312

I have dual booted my computer recently with Ubuntu. It was initially running on Windows Vista only. After some research on internet, I concluded that I need a driver to run my Broadcom BCM4312 on my HP laptop. I downloaded the driver file which had a .tar.gz. extension. I successfully extracted the file but the problem is that I don' know how to install this file. Since I am new to Ubuntu, I am not savvy to it. Can you help me how can I install this .tar.gz. file?

Re: How to install a .tar.gz. file which belongs to Broadcom BCM4312

Installation of a driver from a .tar.gz. file requires you to have the internet connection. During the process of installation, it will be downloading some files from web and hence it requires you to have the internet connection. If you do not have the proper setup of the internet connection and if you still try to install the driver from the file then you will experience either installation failure or you may even have incomplete driver installed on your computer. I would prefer you to ensure that you have a proper internet setup before you start the actual installation process.

In Ubuntu, the .tar.gz. file is nothing but the installation file which you have to run. It is similar to .exe file in Windows. And by the way, from where you got that .tar.gz. file? Who told you that a .tar.gz. file is actually the driver file which you have to run on your computer to use your Broadcom BCM4312? I don't think you need a .tar.gz. file to use it. In fact I think you do not have any requirement for Ubuntu. There is no concept of drivers in Ubuntu.

Dr. V Guest

Instead of manually installing the file and fiddling around for that tar file, I would suggest you to ask your Ubuntu to get the required drivers and install it on your computer. For this you have to simply go to System + Administration - Drivers and ask Ubuntu to perform the necessary installation. You may require internet connection for this kind of process but don't worry, their is no harm in this. This will update your computer automatically.

A tar file is similar to zip file in Windows. So to extract this file, you have to use the below command:
    Code:
    tar -zxvf (filename with extension) – tar.rz
    Now you can install the file. You should also read the install file or readme file which comes along with the package. It also indicates you how to install the file. This is just for reference and varies if you have different computer or operating system. Here is the command to perform the installation.
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install

You are unable to install the driver with the TAR.GZ file because it isn't an installer. It is an archive format of a lot of files which contains numerous source code which has to be compiled, linked and processed to finally produce the desired software. But don't worry, most of the time this process is done automatically. So all you have to do is extract the file and then you can install the software. The commands that you have to use has been already given to you above and explained beautifully, so don't worry and follow the instructions.