Thread: good Download Manager for Linux

good Download Manager for Linux

Hi all,

I am looking for a good download manager that can operate well on the Linux operating system. I was using the Getright download manager when I was on Windows operating system but as I have switched to the Linux then I need to use a different download manager for Linux. I am not very expert in Linux and therefore I don’t have much knowledge about it. If you know any such program (download manager) for Linux that is good to operate and not very complicated to use then please let me know. I will be thankful to all of you for your replies.

Re: good Download Manager for Linux

There is a software named d4X (downloader for X). This is the best download manager that I have ever found till now. It has a very nice graphical user interface for interacting the user. This program is inspired by the ReGet, GetRigh. If you feel bore to download many files or you have a bad connection then according to me this will be the best software for you. You can simply search for this on internet and I am sure that you will find it easily. Download and install it on your system and I think once you use this then you will not have to search for any other Download manager for the Linux.

You can try to use the ProzGUI ( prozilla gui version). One you use this then you will feel that this is very fast and stable. It has much functionality. This will provide you the windows environment and because of that you will be able to manage the ProZilla download manager without any problem. It has the used the technique in which it divides the files to be downloaded in various parts and after that can be downloaded from the various servers.

If you are a experimented user then you will find it efficient and faster to run on the console mode. It has a very nice graphical user interface so that it makes it easy to configure and handle programs. If you install this on your system then you will be able to manage the downloads without the use of the command line console.

Hi, I have installed and used the prozgui on my system but I am not happy with this due to the reasons listed below:
    • Right now, I am at the uni accommodation and the wireless connection that I am using is not stable.
    • I get disconnected when I try to download the MP3’s. It does not downloaded properly. Sometimes it sounds some scratches noise when I try to play the downloaded songs.
    • When I download the same file with the Firefox browser then no such problems happens.

You can use the wget which is available on internet and can be downloaded easily from internet. Wget is a nice and simple console based application that is able to do many things other than just downloading. This is a very old and matured application. You will find that this is a free utility which is made for the non-interactive download of files from internet. http, https, and ftp protocols are supported by it. It also supports the retrieval through http proxies. This may fulfill your needs. Thank you.

I was also surfing for some software that can accelerate the download speed for the Linux. I tried many download managers like prozilla, prozgui, wxdfast, mget, axel but could not find something that can really satisfy my need. Some of them were not getting installed on my computer and others which got installed were very slow. Yesterday, one of my friends gave me a very nice tool called McURL. This is nothing but the shell script that can download files multiple parts via cURL. This is very good tool and you should also try this and I am very sure that this will solve the issue for you also.

There are download manager available on the internet and you can go for any of them that you like. You can also try the download manager that is suggested above and see whether that helps you or not. I have tried almost all the download manager for my system but the only one that I /found useful is the JDownloader. This is the best download manager and working very fine for me. If you also want to give it a try then just google it on internet and I am quite sure that you will get it easily. Download that to your computer. Install that and use that. I with that this will reach your expectation. Thank you.