Thread: Cannot completely shutdown pc on Windows 7

Cannot completely shutdown pc on Windows 7

Hi guys,

Recently I have installed the Windows 7 in my laptop. All the things on it are running fine for me but the only thing that I cannot do is to shut it down. Whenever I try to shut it down then it is not getting turned off completely. I found that the front panel, fans and power lights are stay on. It is shut down with the hard disk completely as heard the poking sound of its shutting down which I always here. All the hardware attached to the computer is shut down completely. This is very frustrating for me.

Finally to shut it down completely, I have to press the powers buttons for 4 to 5 seconds. When I start the computer again then it booted without any problem and there is no system crash. This started to happen from last one week. If you have any suggestion for this then please post it over here so that it will be helpful to me and all the other users who are facing the similar problem. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by first-born; 09-11-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Re: Cannot completely shutdown pc on Windows 7

This may be the problem with the battery in your laptop. Just shutdown the laptop by long pressing the power button and remove the battery from it. Keep it out for about 1 to 2 minutes and after that again insert that to your laptop. Turn on the laptop. Try to shutdown the laptop again and this time it will shut down the laptop properly without any problem.

You should also try to flash your BIOS. This may help you solve the issue. If that is also not helping you then you should go to the BIOS settings and from there you have to disable all the power related setups. If you are using the Intel i7 processor then you have to go to the CPU set up and from there disable the turbo boost. I would like to tell you that the Turbo boost is the function for automatic speed adjustment. I wish that this may help you to solve the problem for you.

There may be many possible reasons for this issue but I would like to tell you the most important among them. I am listing the possible reasons for this that can cause the problem like this:
    • There may be any process or the service that is not shutting down.
    • There may be some faulty driver installed in your system that is not letting the computer to shut down completely.
    • There may be also some faulty program running in the system.

Just check for all these possibilities and after that you can go for the solution accordingly.

I am also agreeing the second reason for this problem provided by the MrChris. This is the most common reason behind such issues. I would like to suggest you to update your driver and check whether it solves the problem or not. Make sure that you should do this before any solution that contains the formatting. If you want to update the driver then you have to follow the steps below.
    1. First of all press the start button and open the start search box. There you have to search for the device manager.
    2. Hit the continue button. Sometimes, it may prompt you the administrator password, then you have to provide the same. This is only for the confirmation.
    3. This will open the list of device type. Select the device type and point to the device that is not functioning.
    4. Right click on the device and select the property. This will open a window with many tabs on it.
    5. Select the driver tab.
    6. To update driver, click on update driver button and this will update the driver for that device.
    7. Finally press OK button.

One of my friend was also facing the same problem and he was not able to resolve that. Then finally when he updated the driver then the problem get resolved. You should also try this because there are more chances to solve the problem for your case.

Clean Boot Troubleshooting may resolve this issue. If you want to perform this task then you have to follow the following steps.
    1. Click on start and in the start search box, you have to type msconfig. Hit Enter. It may ask you for the password. If it asks for it then provide that and press continue.
    2. Open the general tab and click the selective startup.
    3. You have to clear the Load Startup items check box. You will find this checkbox under the Selective Startup.
    4. Select the Service tab and select the hide all Microsoft Services check box.
    5. Once you are done with this then you have to click Disable all.
    6. Click on OK button.
    7. You may prompt for the restart then you have to select restart.

After that this problem may solve.
    GOOD LUCK!!!