Thread: Linux Live Tools

Linux Live Tools

I was using the Windows operating system at the first time and know I have decided to move to other level. By other level I meant that I have decided to use the other operating system and I think that it will be wise to go with the Linux. Well I want to have the Linux on my system and I want to know how I can have that one installed on the hard drive. I have heard that I will need some special method to do so. Can you all please tell me how that can be done? Also I have heard a lot of the Linux Live Tools and it will be really nice on y our part if you all can have some information on the same. Hope to hear some words on the same. Please come up with the possible solutions so that I can start with the work.

Re: Linux Live Tools

Well I am not here to give you the answer for the first part of the query. Well I am sure that you will be able to find that one on your one. Well I have just shown here my self so that I can tell you regarding the live tools of the Linux. If you would ask me to name some then I will have the GParted Live Cd for you. GParted is actually a GTK plus frontend to GNU Parted. Also it is the official GNOME Partition Editor application. It is used in such a way that it can create, delete, resize, and move the file systems. In addition to that it can also be used for checking and copying the partitions. GParted is actually written in C++ and it makes use of the gtkmm so that it can establish an interface with GTK+. The operating system for the same is based on Debian GNU/Linux.

If I would have been on the first place I would have also suggested you to go with the GParted and I think that I got late because of few seconds. Well it is really nice of you (Elies) that you came up with this. You have just explained about the history of the GParted let me tell you all the significance of the same. This CD is very fast. At the same time I would also like to tell that it is very small in size, it is approximately of 30mb and hence I think we can call it as a small packet but with large capability. On the same note I just want to tell that it uses minimal resources of the system. It helps you partition the disk in the manner that you want. GParted LiveCD makes use of the Xorg, the lightweight Fluxbox window manager, and the latest Linux Kernel. I just want to say that it is less prone to any other kind of issues or bugs and hence I think that it should be a given a try. Hope that you will find the same in your business.

Thanks a lot for coming up with one thing and that too useful. Well I have not received a single reply for the first part of my query and I have not succeeded in finding the same on this forum. I will be glad if anyone of you can help me in that matter. It will be really wise if the link of that thread can be given to me. On the same statement I would also like to tell you all that you all have given the explanation on the GParted and can anyone tell me how I can use the same so that I can get a clear view of the application. Step by step process will be preferred. Well anyhow thanks for making the suggestions.

Just have a look at the following steps and I am sure that you will have the steps for the GParted. You will be able to use the application in the manner that you want. Here just have a look at the below steps:
    • As the very first step download the ISO image of the GParted Live CD from the GParted website
    • Well when you will go for the download there you will see many versions, just see if you can find the latest one and also see if that version is labeled as STABLE.
    • After that burn the image on a disc with a CD-burning program. Please see that the program that you are using supports the ISO images.
    • Now insert the CD in the CD-ROM drive and restart the system.
    • Press “Enter” at the GParted Live CD bootloader, by doing this the boot process will start with the default settings.
    • After that please make the selection for the Don’t Touch Keyboard Map and then hit the Enter key.
    • Now choose the Language that you want to have.
    • After that make the adjustments for the partitions of the drives in the manner that you want.
    • Now click the Apply button so that the action can be taken successfully.
    • Now EXIT the GParted and then restart the system again.

Just have a look at the following threads and I am sure that they are related to some thing that you all are discussing here. I have found these threads so that they can help you in each possible manner. I have found all these threads useful and at the same time cover almost each and every aspect of the problems that you all are having. Just have a look for the same and let me know if that helped you in any manner. The links are here: Linux Containers Tools and Need tools to improve the efficiency of Linux. In addition to those threads I have the thread that you were looking for, and I think that this will help you to have the Linux on your system. The link for the same is here: Windows XP and Linux dual boot

If at all you want to have the other Linux Live Tool then I think that going with the SystemRescueCd is a lot better option. It is basically a linux system that is present on the on a bootable CD-Rom and it is used for mending the system and the data that might have lost because of some crash. In addition to that it also give a way so that the admin tasks on the Computer can be handled in a much better manner. Also this application can be used so that the partitions on the hard disk can be created and edited in a much simple manner. Also it has a bunch of system utilities like parted, partimage, fstools, etc. and basic ones for the same are editors, midnight commander, network tools. It is very simple to use and hence I am of the opinion that it is very friendly.