Thread: How to use external hard drive 2TB NTFS USB with Mac

How to use external hard drive 2TB NTFS USB with Mac

I have 2 Terabyte hard drive from Seagate which I have formatted with NTFS partition on the hard drive, it is and USB hard drive. I have lots of data stored on it related to my work and some of the data is music files which I want to place into my latest Mac OS, because I want to work with the music files and play them as MP3. So here I want to know that will I be able to use my external hard drive by plugging it into machine and then copy all the data into the internal hard drive. So if it is possible and anyone had done this please provide me the way in which this can be performed so that I can perform it with my 2TB hard drive and work with my data in Mac.

Re: How to use external hard drive 2TB NTFS USB with Mac

Yes you can surely perform the data transfer from your external Seagate 2TB hard drive to the internal hard drive in your Mac system. As your external drive is USB you have to just plug-in the external drive at the location provided for connecting external device through USB. Now you can drag all the data from external hard drive to the internal one after which you can work with your music files in Mac. This can be one of the way to connect the drive to your system.

As you have mentioned that you have formatted hard drive to NTFS partition because of which it may happen that it may be not work in your Mac. NTFS is a more recent Windows format but the ownership is with Microsoft because of which certification is necessary if you want to use it. That’s because Apple doesn’t entirely support it with its Mac OS but Macs can read an NTFS drive, but they are not able to write to it. So as your external drive is NTFS partitioned you can have the data from it but you can’t load data on it using Mac OS.

I think if you want to constantly have the data from external drive and load data in your external drive for that you need to reformat your hard drive because Mac doesn't write on NTFS drive. Its better if you go for reformatting your drive to FAT32 and then try to use your drive with Mac OS but before formatting the drive just have the backups of your data with windows as NTFS drive is compatible with Windows. I think this can be the only solution which can work for you in order to work with Mac OS and your external hard drive.

If you don't want to go for reformatting your external hard drive because of the fear of losing some of the file. Then you can have same NTFS drive but to write data on the drive you need to install NTFS For Mac 6.0 which will cost you to have in your system. After this you will be able to read and write to your external drive in Mac. this can be one of the solution you can go for to work with your NTFS formatted external drive.