Thread: What is needed to run Linux?

What is needed to run Linux?

I am using using Window Xp service pack 2 operating system in my home computer. I want to try with new operating system. My some of the friends working on Linux operating system. Linux operating system is totally different from Microsoft operating system. So if there is anyone who have a knowledge about Linux operating system then please help me to know about it. What is a basic configuration needed to install it? Any other requirement is there for Linux operating system? Please help me as soon as possible.
    Last edited by aMARAN; 04-11-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Re: What is needed to run Linux?

Linux is a popular free Unix version, initially for the Intel xx86 set of platforms, but now also for other processors. There is a variety of Linux operating system distributions are available like a Linux versions for free and other is order CD-versions at a small price. If you are a new user for Linux operating system then first try with live CD. And if you like it then install it in your computer system.

Free Linux Operating Systems are as follows:-

• Ubuntu
    • aLinux
    • Cooperative Linux
    • Debian
    • Knoppix
    • Linux Desktops
    • Mandriva Linux
    • Pardus
    • RedHat
    • SlackWare
    • Tiny Linux

There is a specific configuration of hardware platform required for Linux operating system. Hardware also depends upon the sorts of Linux distribution.

Minimum hardware requirements for Linux Intel systems:

• Processor: CPU speeds of late-model, mid-range to high-end servers are
      recommended. PentiumĀ® 4 processor at 2.5GHz or equivalent at a
      minimum.
    • Physical memory: 2 GB at a minimum per processor.
    • Disk space: 10 GB at a minimum.
    • Virtual memory/swap space: This value should be equal to double your physical
      memory. At minimum, this should be at least equal to your physical memory.
    • File system: The Linux ext3 file system is used by default.
    Last edited by Solomon; 04-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Linux is a freeware so you can get Linux operating system easily and no one is required to register their copies with any central authority Security level in a Linux is more as compare with Microsoft operating system. Linux allow you for multitasking which is used to running several programs at the same time. Linux runs on many different CPUs, not just Intel. It also multithreading where it has native kernel support for multiple independent threads of control within a single process memory space. Linux runs in protected mode on the 386. Linux has memory protection between processes.
    Last edited by Calvin K; 04-11-2010 at 11:43 AM.

I have an idea of some Supported hardware for Linux operating system.

CPU:
    Anything that runs 386 protected mode programs. All models of 386s 486s, Pentiums, Pentium Pros, Pentium IIs, and clones of these chips should work.

Architecture:
    PCI, ISA, EISA, and VLB busses. Linux puts higher demands on hardware than DOS, Windows, and in fact most operating systems.

RAM:
    Up to 1 GB on Intel; more on 64-bit platforms.

Data storage:
    Generic AT drives are supported, as are SCSI hard disks and CD-ROMs, with a supported SCSI adapter.

Video:

VGA, EGA, CGA, or Hercules (and compatibles) work in text mode.

Other hardware:

SoundBlaster, ProAudio Spectrum 16, Gravis Ultrasound, most other sound cards