Thread: Desktop icons not responding

Desktop icons not responding

Hi I have recently configured an desktop PC and it has all the latest configuration. I have installed the windows 7 operating system and Intel core i3 processor. But from yesterday i have started facing an unusual problem and that is whenever i click on the icons of the system programs then they are not responding. The thing here is that any of the icon on my desktop is so not working properly. I have recently installed the windows 7 and earlier i was using the windows XP and during that period of time i have never received any such problem. Please help me to solve this problem and also let me know how to did it occur. Does anybody ever had face such kind problem if yes than how did you people got rid of it.

Re: Desktop icons not responding

According to there i something wrong in the operating system that you are using currently. As mentioned by you that you have not faced any such problems before and while you are using the windows XP and the problem was started when you started to use the windows 7. It clearly state that you have problem in the windows 7. It may have happen that you have com,minted mistakes while installing=g the operating system. So what you have to do here is that just try and check out the same thing with any of the other operating system and then see whether the same problem occurs again or not. I mean to say that uninstall the windows 7 an then install any other windows operating system and the determine whether the problem comes again, If yes than there is nothing wrong with windows 7 and if no then you have to again do the fresh installation of it because the earlier one was seemed to be corrupted. I hope that this will help you to solve your problem.

I want some answers from you that will help me to solve this problem. The thing is that there are several possibilities that can cause this problem, So if you will answer some of the questions of mine that it will be helpful for me to give the appropriate solution. Here are the questions that you need to answer:
    1. Is the application that you are trying to access are working fine without clicking o9n the icon?
    2. Is your mouse is working fine?
    3. Have you recently install any new software or application on your system?
    4. Do yo have anti virus installed on your system if yes than which one?

I have gone through your problem and it seems to me that there is something wrong with the mouse that you are using. It may happen sometimes that the mouse is not functioning properly as per its requirements and starts to give problem. What you have to do here is that just unplug your current mouse and try out with any other mouse and check whether the problem still comes or not if not then there is definitely something wrong with you have to replace it as soon as possible. I hope that changing the mouse will help you to solve the problem.

I was also facing the same problem a few days back and even my desktop icons were not working properly. After testing i found that my system was affected by virus. So in this case it may happen that your system might have got affected by the viruses and that is the reason why you are facing this problem. The thin here is that virus have a tendency to corrupt the file in such a way that it disables the icons of many application. Now what you have to do here is that just scan you system with any updated anti virus and see to it whether the problem appears again or not. I hope if it is an virus related problem than the anti virus will definitely fix it.

First of all thank you all of you for answering my questions and also for spending your vital time for finding the solution. But the thing here is that I have still not able to solve the problem. I have tried checking the mouse and it is working fine, Also I have uninstalled the windows 7 and checked it out with the other one but still the problem is there, I have not install any of the software in recent time. And the antivirus that I am using is the Avast. These are the answers of the questions asked by you people. Please help me in solving the problem I thing I have committed mistake while installing the windows 7 if possible than let me know the exact steps to install the windows 7.

Here are the steps to install the windows 7
    • With your computer on and Windows XP running, do one of the following:
    • If you've downloaded Windows 7, browse to the installation file you downloaded, and then double-click it (often identified as an Application file under the Type column).
    • If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, insert the disc into your computer. Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click Start, click My Computer, open the Windows 7 installation disc on your DVD drive, and then double-click setup.exe.
    • If you've downloaded Windows 7 installation files onto a USB flash drive, insert the drive into your computer. Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click the Start button, click Computer, double-click the drive, and then double-click setup.exe.
    • On the Install Windows page, click Install now.
    • On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation, and to help protect your computer against security threats. Your computer will need to be connected to the Internet during Windows 7 installation to get these updates.
    • On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.
    • On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom

I am facing the same prblem . I am using windows XP and my desktop is not responding i.e no right or left or highliting , but I can enter to any programme or file by using the START menu.

Did you tried above steps ? No matter that is for Windows7 , just give it a try. If it wont help than just check out these steps:
    Desktop Icons don't open programs anymore
    My computer desktop icon do not load.
    Desktop shortcuts not working