Thread: How to Transfer Applications from windows XP to Windows 7

How to Transfer Applications from windows XP to Windows 7

I have bought a new Windows 7 PC and I want to transfer all of the Windows XP stuff to this new pc which was installed on the previous hard drive. I have successfully transferred bookmarks, firefox emails, etc from the 80 GB hard drive. I also have a non-administrator account from which i want to transfer all applications and games, so how should i do that.Any help would be applicable.

Re: How to Transfer Applications from windows XP to Windows 7

You have to reinstall the all applications and games on the new pc in which windows 7 is installed. Because with copying only program files it will never run the program,it will only throw the error. Sometimes program may be stand alone but most require registry entires and system files to be installed in the correct places for programs to work.

There is in-built feature in window7 called Windows Easy Transfer which is more reliable and helpful,it troubleshoot all the hurdles related to migrating important files, e-mail, pictures, and settings from your old PC to your new one in which windows7 is installed.It includes a new file explorer so that you can easily choose exactly which files to copy to your new PC.

I have better solution in terms of LapLink PCMover software which is a migration tool that automatically backs up all your registry settings all of your data files; and most applications; then moves them into Windows 7. You can randomly select which programs, settings, and data files get moved over to the new operating system, or just let PCMover move all it can.

I came to know that Windows 7 is generally quite forgiving compatibility-wise.So I will suggest to you that you will try and run the games in XP compatibility mode.By Right-clicking on the game's shortcut, Select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and set up as follows:Tick the "Run in compatibility mode for:" box and select Windows XP (SP2 or 3, your choice) then disable its visual themes and Run as administrator.
    Last edited by Macarenas; 02-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.