Thread: Windows update checker for Vista

Windows update checker for Vista

I am using Microsoft Windows Vista operating system on my desktop. Vista is developed in such a way so that it can provide you with good results in better time.I am unaware about update packs that are available and my operating system is not updated from the time it was installed on my system. Is it necessary to provide update for our operating system. From where do i can get update for my vista platform.

Re: Windows update checker for Vista

To update your existing operating system you can follow the company’s website. You can directly download and install update packs or the simplest way to update operating system is to turn on your windows update programs. Whenever you install a new operating system you will be asked that whether you want to protect windows automatically. Click on one of the green shield, windows will download as well install updates for the system.

Steps to install optional updates and drivers :
    • Go to start button then click on All Programs, and then select Windows Update.
    • Under the left pane, select check for updates.
    • Windows will automatically search for latest updates for your operating system.
    • Updates will be displayed & choose optional updates that you want to install.
    • Optional updates will be installed on your system

I have installed an update pack of Windows. Now I want to remove that update pack. Steps to be followed to uninstall the update of windows:
    1. Go to search feature provided you in the Start Menu. Search for Programs and Features.
    2. In Programs and Features window select View installed and updates link.
    3. Windows will load with a list of installed products. Search for the product you want to uninstall and click on uninstall button.
    4. Windows will ask you for the confirmation that you want to uninstall the selected update after you select yes uninstall will start.
    5. When the uninstall window disappears reboot your system.
    6. The update is now uninstalled.

If there is a problem with Windows update not supporting on domain of vista platform operating system you need to carry out these steps.

When update is added on a vista domain it adds a registry key and search for WSUS server. If it doesn’t finds the server then the updates fails immediately. So delete the key named “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate” and also delete the key called “AU” which acts as a sub key. Restart the windows and start the update again.

Steps to be followed when windows update is not working with vista:

• Click on start button and then go to All programs
    • Select windows update option. Select on the icon named get updates for more products and give some time for update to be installed. If it is not available windows update is available.
    • Click on check for updates. It will show if any update is available. If an error is displayed close the window.
    • Click on start button and go to control panel. Search for troubleshooter and click on troubleshooting option.
    • Select on fix problem with windows update and then the problem will be displayed.
    • Close all windows and then click restart button.
    • If any unfinished updates are there it will start automatically.