Thread: How to use iMac 21" screen for Windows Vista

How to use iMac 21" screen for Windows Vista

I have been using Windows at my home since my school days. On this computer, now I am running Windows Vista. I was very excited to work on Mac computer and so I bought iMac 21" last month. I like the screen of this new iMac and would like to see Windows Vista on this screen. Is this possible? Can I have this kind of setup where I have iMac and Windows Vista on the same screen, one which came with iMac? How can I have this? Do I need to install a separate graphics card on Windows Vista machine to give its best on iMac screen? I would be happy if you can provide me a solution, an efficient way to connect both the computers irrespective of the way if it is possible.

Re: How to use iMac 21" screen for Windows Vista

I don't know about your model of iMac but I have a friend who was using 27-inch iMac with Snow Leopard as an external display. This is possible only if you have Target Display mode on your iMac. All you have to do is connect your computer's Mini DisplayPort to your iMac with the help of a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. How to do this setup? First ensure that both the computers are running and not in sleep mode. Now connect the above mentioned cable on each computer. The iMac will automatically show you the screen of another computer by entering into Target Display mode. To tell iMac to remain in this state, press simultaneously Command + F2. You can use the same key press to leave this mode at any moment.

There is yet another possibility to see your Windows desktop screen on your iMac computer. This kind of setup is known as VPN connection or even VNC setup can do the trick. In VPN, you require an internet connection. Although this is more efficient setup since there is no physical connection between the two computers but the major problem over here is security. Since the two computers are connected via internet, there is no guarantee that the data which is send/received will not be theft by any external party. On the contrary, VNC doesn't involve internet. In this, you use an internal (most of the time home router/switch ) router/switch to connect the two computers. There is no security issue over here as you have configured this setup and the devices don't are not directed to any external source.

If you just want to have Windows Vista on your iMac screen than installing Windows Vista on iMac is yet another, in fact an easy, solution for you. VMware has a software which allows you to install Windows on a virtual partition of Mac operating system and experience it without the need to install it on the physically separate partition. The software name is VMware Fusion which creates a virtual machine on Macintosh computers provided it is running Intel processors. You will notice that most of the technology in Fusion is inherited from other VMware products.