Thread: Can I install OSX and on a ExpressCard/34 SSD

Can I install OSX and on a ExpressCard/34 SSD

I just got my Macbook pro's Express card/34 slot from nearby shop and there is Expreecard 16GB SSDs for sale. So I have some questions in mind related to OSX:
    1]Will OSX get install on Expreecard 16GB SSD?
    2]Is the Express Input/output will be as fast as hard disk Input/output?Is there will be a speed bottle neck?
    3]Will OSX fit and have space to grow library files on 16GB SSD in the Expressed slot?
    If so then I would have the operating system with some of the smaller application running on 16GB Expresscard SSD and keep Harddisk to store files.If you have any suggestions to this issue please inform me. Thank you in Advance. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Can I install OSX and on a ExpressCard/34 SSD

I have the same specifications as you have mentioned. And using 32 GB SSD in the Expresscard slot. And this will help to judge whether the Input/output of the expresscard will be fast enough.

Disk Test =78.76
    Sequential=98.10
    Uncached Write =77.45 59.65 MB/sec
    Uncached Write =145.24 49.41 MB/sec
    Uncached Read =56.47 17.70 MB/sec
    Uncached Read =104.37 302.71 MB/sec
    Write speed= up to 28 MB/sec
    Read speed= Up to 36 MB/sec

These are the USB-based expresscards. There are other faster cards based on different interface such as 24GB and 48GB Filemate.Below is some list of faster cards:
    1] Wintec FileMate 8GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    i) Sequential Access Read: up to 170MB/s
    ii)Sequential Access Write: up to 110MB/s
    iii) Model no: 33121301

2]Wintec N1 Series 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    i)Sequential Access Read: up to 200MB/s
    ii)Sequential Access Write: up to 60MB/s
    iii)Features: The Wintec SSD make use of a Serial ATA Generation 2 interface. Due to built-in 14 / 28-bits per sector error correcting code makes maximum consistency without any additional system software or user interaction.
    iv)Model #: 33121321

I am doing the same thing with PowerMac desktop having two internal drives on different IDE buses, this allow you to use the combined speed of both buses and without drawback of Raid-0.But this situation seems to be sticky and I have read that the random read and write speed of SSDs are too better then HDD. So you will get all the advantage of system stuff and caching but you might lose some benefit for user data with your setup. And for heat aspect I am not sure about you but heat aspect is worrying me as I stay in hot place and also concern about the battery life but think you can not win at all thing. Can any one you post a close photo showing how far the SSD sticks out?

I had not thought of reading and writing to dual disks and also not thought of about battery life effected by non-spindown of user disk. I have done booting alternatively few times and have not done any other tests. SSD takes approximately 15 seconds to boot whereas non-SSD takes at least minute. Do you have any idea about freeware software so that I can download and test on it.I definitely feel more heat when SSD is installed under Right speaker where my card slot is placed.The CPU temperature shows 53C today and it keep consistent between 49 or 51C I think it is the Expresscard adding a some degrees.And my battery is quite crappy, I have gone approximately 204 cycles on current battery and 75% of battery remains but I am going to buy new batteries to replace old one.

I think snowleopard is supposed to utilize only 6GB space and will leave plenty of space for other small application and library files.This answer my third question.A 16GB or 32Gb will allow ample of space to run entire system which will save for my stored files such as iTunes,photo library.Question two is also answered(Is the SSD I/O as fast as HDD I/O) Corsair 128GB internal SATA SSD-Read speed: 90MB/sec,Write speed: 70MB/sec.Verbatim SSD expresscard -Read speed: 125MB/sec,Write speed: 30MB/sec.The question remaining is will OSX install on SSD in Express card slot and boot?Your suggestion would be appreciated.

The Expresscard really get pretty hot but not burning it keep functioning 100% in spite of heat even during heavy use when connected via a USB cable it get hot .When I select expresscard volume from startup pref all goes well but when I do restart it automatically redirects to the build-in Hard disk.When restart with the option key I did not see Expresscard in option so I think that Macbook initialize Expresscard after booting sequence.I have done search for this and read some thread where they say that they were able to boot a macbook from Expresscard it means that some macbook version can ans some can,t boot from Expresscard.