Thread: Can you install OS X on another computer while in Target Disk Mode?

Can you install OS X on another computer while in Target Disk Mode?

I am using two macs in which one of them has broken optical drive. I want to know that if I can install the OS X in that by using the target disk mode. I was searching for this solution on internet but not got any proper solution that can do that. I have tried something by myself but that was also useless. Therefore I am leaving this thread on this forum and I hope that I will get the perfect answer from here. Please provide me the proper way to do that. I will be very thankful to all who give replies for this.Thanks you.

Re: Can you install OS X on another computer while in Target Disk Mode?

OK, here is one way from which you can do that. Just follow the instruction given and I wish that it will do the thing for you. First of all you have to connect the Mac which has broken optical drive with another mac that you have. Once you are done with the connection then you have to boot that in the target mode and after that boot the other Mac by the installation DVD and then finally you have to choose the Mac as the installation Disk. Few days back, my friend tried this and was able to do this successfully.

I tried these two weeks back and I want to tell you that you will be able to do this without any trouble. It may also create some problem but that is only if you are running one of your machines is on Intel and the other PPC. If that is the case then I don’t think that you can Target disk mode from one disk to other. If I am saying wrong then please correct me. I tried this with the Leopard Server as the machine and that is working without any optical drive. I hope that it will clear your idea about this. Thank you.

For this, the first thing that you have to do is to repair your disk permissions and confirm that if your disk wants to be repaired with the disk utility. I have already installed the Leopard from Mac Book Pro which has the Intel processor to G5 iMac with PPC processor. Here are the steps to install that.
    1. First of all connect the two Mac using a firewire cable.
    2. Now hold the T button to start the source Mac.
    3. After that you have to insert the DVD in the source Mac and start the destination Mac”, This is the one that you want to install Leopard to and with this hold the alt key that is option key.
    4. Thereafter you will see a menu that will have various options. From there you will have to select the start up drive and pick “Mac OS X Install DVD”.

The above posted solution is right. I was also having the same problem and was wondering for the solution for it but was not able to solve that. Finally one of my brothers friend did the same thing that is posted above and I was able to solve that issue. You should also try this and I am quite sure that it will help you to do that and you will not have to wonder anymore for this issue.