Thread: External NTFS Drive suddenly change in to 'Read-Only'?

External NTFS Drive suddenly change in to 'Read-Only'?

Currently I have purchased an external hard drive at the cost of 2500rs around two weeks ago. And two day back I have formatted the entire file at the NTFS mode. And it is sort like bridge between my Macbook and my computer. I was able to write this drive from my Mac by using the MacFUSE and NTFS-3G. And as I have mentioned that from two days the hard drive shows me a read only status in it. And also I have tried to repair this but also I was not able to get this back. Then I have reinstall the NTFS application but nothing seems to be change it and even now also I am able to get back the permission back. So please if you know any fix for this then please help me.

Re: External NTFS Drive suddenly change in to 'Read-Only'?

So you are not able to get the permission to write it back. Ok let’s try this hope it will help you. First you try to plug-in into a windows PC and then run the disc to check on it. For this you got to the My computer right click on to the external drive and in last click on to the disk tools and after that disk check. Hey I think that it is under the disk tools or something will be like that. So you just try this if it is not going to work then you post your reply here then I will try to give you some other solution related to your issue. Hey you can do one more thing in this it is that try the other Mac through the NTFS-3g and installed the other version of the MacFuse and I think it will surely work.

I know like this can happen with me so that is why I have divided my external hard drive in to the partition of two. The first part ios of the 32 GB and in the format of FAT32, and other partition which is about 120 GB it is of EXT2. And any of the modern Operating system can read this I mean any of the os is able to read the FAT 32 i.e. the first partition without the any add-ons. And the other partition will be able to read with freely available drivers. And here OP should consider using Partition Magic and you just change the NTFS format in to the other format which is able to play well with the others.

I am also facing this issue and one thing about this issue it is really irritating. I have searched most of the solution related to my query but it is not going to fix my issue. But when I came on this forum then I have seen the thread related to my query then I have read all the post from here and I have also tried the solution which is given here. When I use the Other Mac Pc it is able to work but in my pc it is not working it is reaming in to the read only file. SO if anybody has any other which is really better so please tell me.

I just want to ask her this question here to whom those who are facing the similar type of issue regarding the external hard drive. Here I want to ask you that it is mounted with NTFS-3G? Because in this there is different type of the icon is there at the time of connected your hard drive with the computer. And this type of the icon you will be able to see at the time of connection which is built in to the apple NTFS driver and the NTFS-3g. So you just check this and inform me as soon as it is possible for you.

As you have told to check that icon I have checked that and I am not able to get that icon I think it is probably not. I have checked very nicely it is not showing any kind of orange standard 'firewire drive' icon where as it was displaying this icon before I am was facing this issue. And it had shown this icon as a network drive which is like a sort of sphere within a cube? So do you have any idea related to this that why it is not able to mount that with the NTFS-3G. I have also reinstalled this but I am not able to get any of the solution to fix my query.

I have some solution regarding you issue which I think can fix your issue permanently. Because I have also face this kind of issue so I have taken my cousins help regarding this issue. And do not think that my cousin is a normal computer user he is a hacker and he has just solved my issue within a ten minutes. He has just typed command and my drive start working properly again. You just try to mount it by hand using the commands. Also confirm that bundle is installed so the automatic mounting is starting mounting. So the command is ps -aux (or is is ps -ef) and in to the terminal if you are able to find the application then you can see this. ps -aux | grep appname So just type these command and check that whether your issue gets fixed or not.