Thread: Fat32 not an option from Admin Tools - Disk Management?

Fat32 not an option from Admin Tools - Disk Management?

I have got a nice big HD in an external USB2.0/Firewire Combo container, and I want to make use of both my Apple macintosh and computer system. The Apple macintosh is currently working with the latest 10.3.x, and the computer system is completely windows updated (XP SP2). To the finest of my information, the only format that will vocation cross platform with no supplementary software is FAT32. Contain stop the drive into my computer system, I was stunned at this spot in Admin Tools - Disk Management, only one selection in the partition/format wizard. NTFS or NTFS expressive full well that Microsoft has not removed support for FAT32. Do Admin Tools not have the option of Fat32 in the Disk Management? Any help regarding this issue will be appreciated. Thank in Advance.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Fat32 not an option from Admin Tools - Disk Management?

I think you are absolutely correct that Microsoft has prepared FAT32 a very complicated choice under the operating system such as Windows XP. FAT32 is solitary supported on the separation up to a 32 GB under the Windows XP operating system. Windows XP operating system, still support the FAT32 separation in overload of 32 GB, make available is it is formatted somewhere else such as DOS, Windows 98, and Windows ME though subsequently finest thing to impracticable with a DOS diskette, as there is no USB hold up beneath the DOS.
    Last edited by Dr. V; 19-10-2010 at 05:05 AM.

I released a command window and kind format and definitely sufficient right there was file system switch so what the deal Microsoft has decided they required to build it difficult to format drives in incredible other than NTFS. The Admin Tools is not place to be hitting options from power users. What is this big brother garbage or am I incorrect and FAT32 usually is an obtainable choice in the GUI. I signify throughout windows XP install from the Bootable XP disk you acquire the choice of FAT32 or NTFS. Is Fat32 no longer an alternative once you have prepared on your computer system disk NTFS. As FAT32 not a selection since my drive is on USB and not straight sitting on the IDE band? Is the 160 GB drive too large for FAT32, and the Administrator tool is familiar with something that the command window didn't?

I have the identical trouble, I want to make use of Western Digital’s DOS utilities to FAT32 format my WD 160 GB hard drive. Window XP operating system will only format FAT32 upto 32GBs. I have attended to that Partition magic will do what you want. Or immediately download a Window Me boot disk from the internet or hard drive maker DOS utilities you will require to set up your fresh hard drive in your computer system by it. Then boot off the boot disk, do the division and format it. Windows 98 had a problem of separating Western Digital’s beyond 60 GBs.

I think you have to do a small self-investigate that would help you to get the answer of the entire problem of your. FAT32 is still maintained but Windows XP operating system will simply format upto 32GB separation with it. In order to format a superior partition of FAT32, you have to use a quantity of other technique. One such method to be measured could be you macintosh can do it, luckily you have operating system X 10.3, and so you must not run into any troubles. It is recommended that your investigation for yourself is good before you take any advice that you are the one eventually accountable for your actions or problems or solutions.

As you have said I have done with the research, I just posted a bit of a complaint at the similar time. Soon after redistribution, I establish the 32 GB Windows 2K/XP formatting boundary in the information base. I also familiar with that my Macintosh can format in Fat32, though it take me a number of time to outline out that Microsoft Dos Format was the same to FAT32. Honestly I discover it strange that my Macintosh can arrange the drive with the most generally used computer system format more athletically than my flagship windows XP machine. It comes into view that Microsoft completes the result to reduce Fat32 formatting support in Windows XP.