Thread: Create self installing Ghost image for windows XP?

Create self installing Ghost image for windows XP?

Hello everyone here! I am an MBA student and I am fresher to windows installation and backup processes. But with some online help I have learn to use Norton Ghost for making backup images. But I have lots of doubt about self installing backup images. I am interested to use it for self installation backup image but I am wondering, how it will work? Can I utilize it for making self installation backup image? Will it be possible that user just pop in a disk and get rest and let it install? Please I really need this all. If it is not possible then, is there any application or product which can help me to do this possible.

Re: Create self installing Ghost image for windows XP?

I am hotel owner and want to provide internet facility to my all customer. Our company is planning to put Computer and inter in every room for customer. But I scared that they can use it for some harmful activity. We are planning to give them bootable disk for self installation. It should install the whole system automatically. It should be as easy that housekeeper should also be able to pop up in to the disk drive when they are cleaning our rooms and let it do it work, and then move in to the next room for housekeeping. Please if all this possible then please send me all details on this thread. And also provide me details about computer. Because mainly our customer will use them just for internet surfing and maybe for some other some easy work. Which configuration will be best for this kind of performance? Look, I am not a computer expert nor I am dealer. Just use your own experience and knowledge for reply. Every suggestion will be appreciated.

I have same issue. I am planning to open cyber café on my street. In cyber café peoples are free to use every website, free top use pan driver, CDs for data transfer. All these activity can lead my all computer for virus and also these files will be useless for my hard drive. So is there any possibility which I can use to secure my computer? It is not possible to format computer everyday just for viruses. I need an application which will restore my system to a standard point. With the help of this application, I will be able to clean (restore my system) system hard drives everyday to make my system free from virus problem. I know Microsoft already has given that facility (system restore tools) but it is not effective to stop virus and to clean downloading files. And I also wanted to use that application from Administrative computer (server) because making restoration on very computer will time consuming?

I think so Deep Freezing application should help you. I am also using this application in my library. Lots peoples use it for their cyber café or for public PCs. Actually works similar to windows System restore tools but it is little bit different. It makes a roll back point (standard point as you said above) and when you will try to reboot your system; it will put back to that point. Means you can delete all added files, downloaded files, application and other activity. I think so it should be enough for your requirement. Try it because I am using same system in my office but I use once in month to maintain our system. Best of luck.

I do not know why you are going for such complicated process. Our windows already provide all these kind of facility. You can use antivirus to protect your system from virus and also there is facility to block unwanted website. You can use firewall to block spam websites. Try to use simple auto run from your windows CD via batch file calling Norton Ghost but specify your all required parameters. And after all these setting performs rebooting. I am sure you will be happy to use this easy and very effective system. Even you can add password to block websites in Mozilla Firefox. I use this on my personal computer.

Thanks for replying for my problem. I have tried to use system restore tools but it is not looking as effective. You cannot flush DNS files, temp files from your system. Due to all these files internet speed is getting little bit slow. I have downloaded Deep Freeze yesterday and installed it, but I am not able to use it properly. And I am also interested to know what exactly this going to do on my system. Please do this favor on me.

How to make batch file:
    just make a text file with .bat extension and it must hold the training <ghost parameters > through parameters being the switches wanted and basis of image file and purpose partition (attempt 1st utilizing GUI interface previous to to be certain to choose accurate partition!). Now place ghost files AND batch file AND image file in to the root of the CD with inside of a DOS bootable floppy (or minimum command.com file).Auto run is easy to made only by placing it in the ROOT of the CD an autorun.inf file (easy text file) with following layout and stuffing ( presumptuous the batch file utilized to rebooting is called RestPart.bat ( or else put back with accurate name)): [AutoRun] open=RestPart.bat. It must help.

But people can have some problem with Deep freezes because some time it erases date which was important for you like bookmark and some daily used URL from browser. When you save your favorites website URL in your browser’s URL it get lost when you make reboots. If you haves saved some file it get deleted by application. But do not worry you can change your software setting to stay away from these losses. When you install Deep freeze application you can specify your computer drive for protection. For example in my case I have divide my Hard disk in three portion ( C, D , E) and I have declared ‘E’ drive in unfrozen state. So I can use this portion to store my important files. And for bookmarks and URL , there is also option to save all this in your application. And my other part ( C , D ) are completely protected by Deep Freeze.