Thread: Need to install Broadcom 4306 PCI driver in Ubuntu

Need to install Broadcom 4306 PCI driver in Ubuntu

I have just wiped my old XP machine and in place of that I put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) on my old Dell laptop. But the problem is that I dont know that how can I install the necessary wireless driver so that I can get it back online. I tried to install the driver drivers in many different ways that I know but none of them worked for me. Please help me to get this online starting from the scratch.

Re: Need to install Broadcom 4306 PCI driver in Ubuntu

This may be the hardware issue. What is the hardware specification for the old Dell laptop? If you have this information then it will help you the most to find the solution and will helpful for us to suggest you the solution for this. You should also know that what card/chipset your laptop is using because most of the drivers are available in the Ubuntu repos.

You should have the internet connection to to do that. During the installation it has to download some files from internet and if you dont have the internet connection then it will not let the installation to download that file and will abort the installation process. So make sure that you have a proper internet connection before starting the installation process.

You will require less configuration with ndiswrapper on Feisty. I am using a wireless laptop with Feisty and of you are also using the same then you have got a Broadcom bcm4306 card and to get the wireless working with Feisty you dont need to do much. All you have to do is install the package bcm43xx-fwcutter from your favorite package manager and this will prompt you for downloading the firmware that is required for the Broadcom chipset. After completing the installation you have to reboot the system and you will find that wireless chipset will connect without any problem.

You should make sure that you have extracted the firmware with the version 006. I am telling this because I did this mistake when I was testing this for the first time and was getting the similar problem. Just see to this and I am sure if that is the problem in your case then it will resolve the issue.

I made the broadcom 4306 to work with the help of ndiswrapper but to this I had to have the an updated version of ubuntu 8.04. I am not very sure about that which update that was but it was a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04. You should also update it to get the issue fix. Just search on internet for the latest update available for it and download it to your computer. Install that on your computer. This may also help you.