Thread: Slow USB write - fast read

Slow USB write - fast read

Whenever I try to attempt to write any USB drive that I connect to my computer, I face the problem with the speed of transfer. Initially I see the transfer speed is very fast and it starts decreasing gradually. It gradually goes to 60MB/s and after few seconds it almost stops moving. If I decide to wait then the transfer never completes with a 1GB test file. What may be the reason behind this? Please help to get out of this. I will be very thankful for your help.

Re: Slow USB write - fast read

Here are the possible solutions that you can try to fix this issue.
    • Set the drive to Performance Mode to enable write caching.
    • Re-installed the USB Root Controller and Intel USB Controller devices.
    • You have to upgrade to the latest Intel Device Drivers.
    • Make sure that USB ports are 2.0, and that you are connected to the rear powered USB outlets
    • Install Windows 7 hotfix intended for NVIDIA chipsets with 4GB RAM.
    • Try to format in 16K block sizes instead of 4K or 8K.

There is possibility that it has badly installed devices in your system. You should check on the Device Manager and if you find any device that is badly installed then you can reinstall the device again and I think that will fix the issue if it is related to the installed devices. I hope this will help you in any manner.

Go to Device manager and select the disk drive. Right click on USB drive and you will see various options. Hit on the Properties and this will open a new window with various tabs. Select the Policies tab and choose the Optimize for performance. Click on Ok button that will save the setting and see for the speed changes. This will improve the performance of file transfer.

I solved this problem for mine. I found that the problem was low card internal reader quality. I was not able to solve it on ubantu and therefore I switched to Windows Vista and found the same issue. So I figured that it was not a operating system problem. I bought a new internal card reader and it is giving the good transfer speed. The speed is increased to 10mb/s from 1.5kb/s.

Do you have any antivirus program running on your system? This can also slow down the transfer speed because it will check all the files for virus or any other bug which is going to transfer to the computer and will slow down the speed of transfer. You can disable the antivirus temporary while transfer the file. And after you complete the transfer then again enable it again.

Dr. V Guest

Have you tried to switch between AHCI mode and Sate mode? You can do that in BIOS settings. Keep pressing the Del button when the system boots. It will let you to the BIOS settings with various tabs. You can also do the clean boot in safe mode and this may let the issue out. This solve the matter in many of such cases. You can also try this and I hope that it will help you to solve it in your case also.