Thread: Can not Install XP SP2

Can not Install XP SP2

Hi all,

I am facing a severe problem while trying to install Xp Sp2 in my machine for the first time.
    Actually I recently bought a new HDD(80 gb Seagate Non-SATA).
    And my machine consists of P4 1.8 GHz processor with Mercury motherboard.
    Now the problem I am facing is that while trying to follow the steps to partitioning and so on, my keyboard is getting disconnected(Num Lock is not ON) or machine is getting hang.
    So the installation process is NOT getting completed.

Can somebody tell what is wrong with my machine? What else do I need to check?
    Please help.

Re: Can not Install XP SP2

You can see in this case that the initialization the computer seems to be running as usual. Moreover, all the lights on the CPU , keyboard and the monitor are normal, but the screen stays black.Try this simple test : Disconnect all cables power and all peripherals your computer. Reconnect everything and restart the computer. If this time he agrees to start, you can conclude that it was just a temporary problem offset from the EEPROM .

It seems like you are running the installation from the Windows XP sp2 CD, which look like corrupted, check you installation CD, try with the another CD, or you can also try running the live CD of other Operating System like Ubuntu. If you feel like hardware problem check whether all the hardware connected are listed in the BIOS.

Hi,

No. I have tried many times. Every time it is behaving like that.
    Actually I do not know much about hardware.Is there any compatibility issue occuring with processor with HDD that I need to check?
    I will check with other CD but if there is something else to check please tell that.

Is there any compatibility issue occuring with processor with HDD that I need to check?
    I will check with other CD but if there is something else to check please tell that.
    Seems to be bizarre issue. Since your keyboard is getting hanged while doing the installation, I don't think that there should be some CD problem. We can't neglect the chances of compatibility issue occurring with processor with HDD. So try to change the HDD temporarily just for troubleshooting purpose. Then you will able to find out where exactly the problem is residing.

So can anyone please tell me what are the specification(HDD and Processor) that I need to look out to ensure that my newly bought HDD is useless for my PC.