Thread: XP won't bring up Explorer.exe

XP won't bring up Explorer.exe

My friends computer is having fits. He has a compaq with XP.

When his computer boots, it starts right into XP and shows the background. Nothing loads. I have waited on it for at least 1 hour and nothing. When I do CTRL+ALT+DEL I can see all the processes. I try to run explorer.exe but it will not. I have tried to boot both in Safe Mode and normal. I have actually got iexplorer.exe to run one and I did an online virus scan and removed a winlogin trogan. After reboot, still nothing.

Next I tried sfc /scannow and it ran but nothing. I then tried removing any updates that were installed lately and nothing.

I checked the registry in the [HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options] and don't see an explorer.exe key.

I have also checked [HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] and the Shell is set to Explorer.exe.

Any suggestions?????

Re: XP won't bring up Explorer.exe

Most probably this behavior occurs due to any virus but as you said you have already scanned your system and removed some virus, it should have got fixed. But anyways, what i can suggest you now is try to restore you system at the previous point and see if it works. OR restart your system, keep tapping F8 and select "Last good known configuration" option and see if it loads perfectly. If still you are facing the problem than follow these steps: explorer.exe will not start

Code:
    ----------copy inside only----------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\userinit.ex e,"

----------copy inside only----------
    Is it suppose to have double \\ and then a space aft between the last e and the x?

Also, I have looked in the for the explorer.exe in both C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 and can't find it.

You need to check XP Repair / Reinstall with this issues. Go to
    - Start - > Run -> type cmd. In the window that opens, type sfc / scannow. The installation CD of XP may be necessary. In the event that claims the XP Pro CD as you with XP Home , continue the procedure is a little bug " cosmetic " . The fact of introducing the CD before you type the command can prevent this little problem.
    Otherwise ,
    - Insert the Windows XP CD ( while still under Windows). Start - > Run - > F : WINNT32 / unattend (replacing F by the letter of your CD ), Windows will repair the installation, while keeping all your software installation , configuration etc.