Thread: Windows 98 Installation On New Hardware

Windows 98 Installation On New Hardware

I am planning to make a dual-boot with xp and 98. I am having 160GB hdd and cut in two partition. One partition with xp NTFS and the second one is empty with NTFS. Prior to this the second one is having vista on it but now i am planning to have window 98. I am having original window xp and a copy of win 98.Would someone please help me to have it done successfully.

Re: Windows 98 Installation On New Hardware

It must be giving device driver not found, unable to load win 98 installation file. Ifthis is the error try using Window 98 bootdisk first. You need to format it before installing and win 98 does not support NTFS. Toinstall it you need to make sure you get a CDROM device driver.If you do not have floppy then you can burn another boot CD and put it with the proper changes in the boot files.Below is the link that list what you need for installation.
    http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

But i do not have floppy disk. All i have is Pioneer DVD player and burner. Do you think the problem is i can't find any drivers from pioneer. and it is already in fet32. I am using boot Cd for installing i use FDISK available with the CD.
    I think there may be no need for driver for DVD player just like my HCL LCD.I will try this link you have given might it help to make win 98 bootdisk.

You should mount your old IDE cdrom drive to run actual win98 setup. You must boot with proper CDROM device driver for DOS. You got a link to bootdisk.com but the problem is that you do not have floppy drive installed in your tower and it extract the cdrom drivers to floppy disk. There is another solution to it you just need to download Hiren's BootCD 9.5 and burn it to CD. It wii boot in DOS environment and load the sata cd-ROM driver for DOS.

setup.exe directly from there. The following is how you will do it:
    1)Insert win98 setup CD in your DVD-ROM drive.
    2)create a new folder named win98 on the root of your FAT32 partition.
    3) open command prompt and write the following in the cmd.
    C:\>xcopy F: *. Window 98 can be installed from hard drive you just need to copy all the file in a folder and run * Z:\Win98 /S /C /H /K
    4) Again type this in cmd
    C:\>F:
    F:\>CD \Win98
    F:\Win98> setup.exe
    Now window 98 allow you to install it successfully.

It’s strange I tried to download boot cd from two different pc but I get stop somewhere in between. Mostly I got stuck between60%. I tried a program called download manager but it did not either work. Then I try to download it at my friend home and it got downloaded. I install it in his system it got installed successfully.

I made Win 98 boot floppy as explained in bootdisk.com but not from cmd. It is very simple to make bootdisk for your 95/98 is to type sys a: at a c:\. OR go to start menu/setting/control panel/add remove program/startup disk/create disk.. I have used the second method to do it.