Thread: windows XP, 7 and Ubuntu Multiboot With PLoP

windows XP, 7 and Ubuntu Multiboot With PLoP

I recently bought an brand new COMPAQ PRESARIO SERIES laptop, and make 5 partition with the "Windows installation program" and then installed Windows XP HOME(having a basic knowledge on computer). After that I have learned that the operating system itself installed into the primary partition, the rest partitions are logical and extended. The few days ago I learn something about Ubuntu 8.10,I learned some commands. But yet to get some practical experience.
    So then I installed Ubantu on one of the logical drive. Now my question is the MBR (Master Boot Record), where is it placed on the HDD ? And since I have installed both XP and UBUNTU, How does it all work ?

Re: windows XP, 7 and Ubuntu Multiboot With PLoP

Regarding what I know, the way the booting stuff works is to find where the boot program is. So, then whenever the system looking each of drives to find the bootable drive, the system does not know the about the partition on the hard disk drive, so it counts as Sector 0. That will have the control on the booting who will write the address. Recall it by using a floppy of a Linux program.

Reinstall your Ubuntu, If you tried to install Ubuntu where already the XP is installed, you can dual boot at your computer. I think if you reinstall Ubuntu with two XP’s then they will appear in the Boot Menu. Seems like Linux boot manager is somehow "smarter" than Windows'. It may bit of waste of time but it will help you. Remember that if you have any data on Ubuntu, then before reinstallation you keep them a side.

There is another solution I found about this problem. Download Ubuntu desktop version from HERE Burn it into a blank disc(Live CD) or by an USB stick. Then follow the steps:
    1.Reboot your computer and boot into a live session by the Live CD.
    2.Mount your Ubuntu partition from Places menu
    3.Go into boot/grub directory and check for existence of files menu.lst and grub.cfg.

Having the same problem with my "Kubuntu 8.10 " , few months ago I've installed W7 RC Ultimate. Thinking about a proper multi booting in my computer W7 RC and Kubuntu 8.10. I've used the method :
    1.Using the Ubuntu Desktop/Live CD
    2.Preserving "Windows Bootloader"
    1.Restoring GRUB
    2.Making Windows Load GRUB (and then Linux)"
    But still Kubuntu 8.10 is disappearing me, what should I do?

The GRUB configuration set up tool is used by vivid distributions, which also included some functionality and methodology for the GRUB tool: like “YaST2 on SUSE/OpenSUSE” distribution and other one is “Anaconda on Fedora/RHEL” distribution. For the graphical configuration of “Debian” distribution on GRUB tool the start up manager is used.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

First I installed windows 7 and then Ubuntu for multi booting. Before that I had installed XP and Vista and before install next time I remove all the data containing the information of XP and Vista. Now the problem when I tried to plug in my Windows 7, it shows in the WINDOWS | HDD1 | 153GB, but actually I installed it on the 48GB hard disk. Same happens with the XP and Vista, these are shows where I installed the other one. Should I make any mistake? Any suggestion….

Hello again, this thread is change with my first thread, this time I go for XP Pro,Windows 7 Pro, Kubuntu, all are think to install in the primary drive. I created last time an entangled XP-7 dual boot. Make a NTFS partition for the XP and 7. And a new one Fat32 for Windows 98. That is in the logical drive. Created 3 primary partitions in the new one. So, first I installed XP then Windows 7, but the problem is same like the last post. What is the reason, why it happens?